Can Anyone Identify this Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Identify this Uniform

I just looking to see if anyone can identify this Uniform. I have found it among old family photos and no family members know who it is.

Can anyone help.

Thanks
    John
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

He is in the Royal Navy, Uniforms and Badges of Rank : RN Life : Training and People : Royal Navy

Comment

Hi John, sorry, I am afraid to say that I disagree with Pat. Moustaches' were not allowed in the Royal Navy, you had to have a full set (complete with beard). I would suggest something more civilian i.e. Customs and Excise.

Comment

this is a photo of a family member in the Royal Navy WW1

Comment

Here you go John,

Just so others can see him better..

Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

If you have a look at this link...

It might help.

or this site...

RN Uniform
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-03-08, 14:43.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I dont know why but my first thought was Railway maybe?

Comment

I thought the same Marilyn, Station master. but was afraid to post that

Dont know if it is the station master. But he looks as if he would be blowing a whistle
                Last edited by Pamdidle; 13-03-08, 19:21.
                Pam

Comment

I thought Station master too!!

That makes three of us then lol!

:D

UPDATE : Actually it could be a Harbour Master's uniform; the hat looks very similar tothis one, if not then he could have been something to do with the Customs & Excise, certainly.
                  Google Image Result for http://www.atlantic-cable.com/CableStories/Nicol/James-Nicol-Warrnambool_s.jpg
                  Last edited by Joan of Archives; 13-03-08, 19:35.

Joanie

Comment

Me too!

First thought was a Railway official. He looks quite aware of his own importance.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Have just ambushed OH as he passed, he says he could well be a railway official, there were of course different railways at the time, and it needs the cap badge enlarging as that should give the info............

Comment

My first thought was railway uniform as well.

Comment

He looks like a mariner to me, perhaps a ship's master?

I'm no expert, but the bands on his sleeves suggest that.

Comment

I must admit when i also first saw it i thought railway, but on close inspection Naval, he doesnt seem to have pride in his uniform, as he looks rather relaxed with the jacket open, dont mean to be rude.

Comment

the bands on hos arms look like sailers bands,could he have been in the merchant navy brenda xxx

Comment

Hi, Not being a Navy type I like most am having a stab. I think like brenmac you should look towards a merchant seaman. Two things seem like pointers to me, firstly looking at the badge with a magnifying glass it looks like an 'R' or 'K' within a lorral wreath. As it looks to be a wire badge rather than a brss one i would think it is less likely to be RN. I have seen similar badges before somewhere. Secondly, I don't think he looks scruffy and neglected. I would say his uniform is made of serge. Many years age as a fireman we wore oniforms made of this material without the usr of oilskins. It is very good at keeping one warm out in all weathers when getting wet. Note that it is double brested too. and probably buttons upto the neck to keep one warm when standing watch. If it is serge, then it is almost impossible to iron well, but it is made to be servicable not for show. As for age, I would plum for early 1900s.
                                Well thats my guess over !!!!
                                Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

Me again, I just had a thought. If the badge is an 'R', could that stand for Railway?, but I stick by the type of uniform, that it was functional not for show. They whould have made them to last. My old Jacket is still worm after nearly 50 years. Oh, and still fits !!
                                  Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

Working...
                                  X