Southern Cemetery Manchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Cemetery Manchester

Can anyone help with lookups at this cemetery.

Thanks

Brenda

Hi Brenda
    What are you looking for? I may be able to help
    Last edited by Pat Hope; 12-03-08, 16:52.
    PAT

Comment

Hello Pat

My GGrandfather Edward Robert Daniel is buried in Southern, along with his wife Priscilla. Edward died in 1893 and Priscilla in 1933.

I am trying to find out if any of their children were buried there as well. I want to establish parentage.

Edward and Priscilla had 6 daughters,eldest born 1864, but they did not marry until 1890 because Edward was married before.I was hoping to get parent information either from death certificates or headstones.

The daughters I am interested in are

Mary Louise Ada Daniel...definately buried in Southern 1955

The thing is that these daughters were called Albon (Priscillas maiden name) before Priscilla and Edward Robert married, except Lily and she was christened Daniel.
      Lily Clara Daniel born 1865 I do have a death reference and there is a burial. in 1910 but does not say Clara
      Bertha Daniels......a burial in 1972, but Bertha really was Roberta Robecca Daniels and was born in 1874, so unless she lived to a ripe old age, this is not the right one.
      Then there was a Florence Louise Daniel, but no record of her death.

I realise that for £12 I can have access to 4 records, but I am not sure if the records would show me who registered the death and the only way I am going to establish parentage is to visit the cemetery, which is difficult as I live in Spain.

Complicated family story, but basically I am just trying to find who were the parents of these girls.

Can you help?

Brenda

Comment

Hi Brenda

Southern is a massive cemetery. If you had a date of death I could look at the burial records at the library there are pages and pages for one year. The records don't show who registered the death that would be on the death certificate. What the records do show is the grave number. I have a map of the cemetery and if you find the grave number I could go and see if there are any headstones
        PAT

Comment

Hello Pat

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, I have had difficulty accessing the web site.

This is all the information I have:

Edward Robert Daniel Death..March 1893 aged 65 Chorlton 8c/571..definately at Southern.

Note, All through my research of Edward Robert right up to the last census in 1891 his name is Robert Daniel...It took me ages to find his death details because of this. I only discovered that he was Edward Robert on his death certificate because I sent for his wife Priscillas death certificate and it said 'widow of Edward Robert Daniel.'

Priscilla Daniel Death Stockport 16/02/1933 Vol 8a Page 3 I have her death certificate. Death registered by Florence
          Daniel

Mary Louisa Ada Daniel...definately in Southern, all I know is that she died in 1955

Lily (Clara) Daniel...died Sept 1910 Prestwich 8d 227. There is a Lily at Southern in 1910

Florence Daniel, can find no record, but she registered Priscillas death and was living in Ruthin? in 1933 (Born March 1872)

Bertha Daniel...there is a burial registered in Southern in 1972, but I do not have any more details.(born 1876)

As I have a definate date for Priscillas death,perhaps that would be the easiest to find and it could be that they are all in the same grave.If not it would be interesting to see who is in the grave.

I am particularly interested in Lily as I can not find a record of her birth anywhere and she was a Daniel, wheras the others were called Albon until Priscilla and Edward Robert married.I could send for her death certificate, but I am not sure that it would tell me who her mother was.

I have sent for so many certificates just lately that have been the wrong ones!!

If this information is not enough, or it is going to take up a of your time, please do not worry. I have exhausted every avenue and this was just a last resort.

Many Thanks

Brenda

Comment

Hello Brenda
            I just wanted to welcome you to FTF ... hope you enjoy it here

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hello Rachel,

Lovely to see that you are on this forum..I will never forget the wonderful colourings you did for my 'crinoline ladies'

Still trying to sort that family out, it is lovely to live in Spain but I do miss the access to records, before we moved here I would travel anywhere to search graveyards and records.

I have had some wonderful help from the internet and as a result of this I am in contact with family members in UK, New Zealand and America, I just wish that all this had have been possible whilst my Parents and Grandparents were alive, and just hope that future generations are interested in my research.

Brenda

Comment

Brenda,

Do you have the ref's for any of them on the census please?
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Is ok...

I think I have found them in 1901...

mistrans as Danisch.
                  Class: RG13; Piece: 3761; Folio: 33; Page: 9.

But no Clara there.. do you have them on other census? with Clara on it?
                  Julie

Comment

Yes I have all the census and the girls are on them all, sometimes called Daniel and sometimes called Albon.

The thing is that Robert (I will call him Robert because until his death and on all the records that is what he is called and was christened with that name)

Robert was married to Mary Ann Rinder in 1849, they were both from Leeds but were in London in 1851, the only daughter registered to them is Elizabeth Lloyd Daniel, my GGrandmother (born May 1851)

in 1861 Robert and Mary are still in London, but Elizabeth Lloyd is back in Leeds with her Aunt Mary (Roberts sister) and she remained there until she married.

Then after that there were six more daughters I knew nothing about.

The first one born in 1864 Violet lloyd Daniel, then Lily Clara Daniel born 1865.

There is no record of these births anywhere, I have had a lot of help from various sources with no luck. I always assumed that Mary Ann died after 1861 that being the reason that Elizabeth lloyd went to live with her Aunt in Leeds I am trying to establish when Mary Ann died and have already sent for two death certificates which were the wrong ones, am now waiting for another.

The other 4 girls were all called Albon, the first of these being born in 1869...so a 4 year gap!!

Robert and Priscilla Albon did not marry until 1890...why!!

They are together on all census from 1871

So what happened to Mary Ann Daniel??

Why are two girls called Daniel and the rest Albon???

Who is the mother of Lily Clara Daniel and Violet lloyd Daniel. I am hoping that these questions can be answered by the burial records and gravestones.

I have changed my avatar (for Rachel), I had this restored, dated and coloured, I believe this to be Mary Ann Daniel.

Robert Daniel went bankrupt in 1863 and went from being a very well off (judging by the clothes) to being an unemployed builder in 1891.

Because I have burial details for Priscilla I was hoping that her grave could be located and maybe there will be some answers there.

Violet married so very hard to trace, I have ref of marriage, but that would only show fathers name I think, so only hope really is Lily Clara Daniel.

Brenda

Comment

Robert and Priscilla Albon did not marry until 1890...why!!

Perhaps he was still married??? to Mary?
                      Julie

Comment

So where does the Lloyd name come from then??

I see Voilet is married in 1891 to a Cooper.
                        Julie

Comment

So Who is Edith P. Daniel then? born 1869 in Bury st Edmonds Suffolk?

I know Edith is another name for Ada/Adeline... etc

1871:Class: RG10; Piece: 1626; Folio: 132; Page: 17.

BIRTH
                          Edith Priscilla Daniell.
                          june Q 1869.
                          bury st edmonds, suffolk.
                          vol:4a.
                          page:478.

Ahhh She's another sister......
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-03-08, 12:28.
                          Julie

Comment

and in 1881: Class: RG11; Piece: 3918; Folio: 106; Page: 14

I see what you mean, is very confusing...
                            Julie

Comment

Hi Brenda ........I will go to the archives early next week and look at the cemetery records. Weather permitting I can then go to the cemetery to find the grave.
                              PAT

Comment

[QUOTE=Darksecretz;1116154]So where does the Lloyd name come from then??

Lloyd was Roberts mothers maiden name, that is another strange thing...he gave Elizabeth AND Violet Lloyd as a middle name.

Comment

[

[COLOR=black]Perhaps he was still married??? to Mary? [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

This is why I am trying to find out when Mary Ann died

Brenda

Comment

[quote=pyghtle;1116281]
                                    Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                    So where does the Lloyd name come from then??

Lloyd was Roberts mothers maiden name, that is another strange thing...he gave Elizabeth AND Violet Lloyd as a middle name.
                                    Perhaps Lloyd was just the name they wanted to pass down the line... I have seen that sometimes.

My grandmother had her dads surname as a middle name.
                                    Julie

Comment

I think I have found them in 1901...

mistrans as Danisch.
                                      Class: RG13; Piece: 3761; Folio: 33; Page: 9.

But no Clara there.. do you have them on other census? with Clara on it?

In 1901 Priscilla was living in Longsight Manchester with Lily Clara, Florence Louise, Bertha(Roberta Rebecca) and Mary Louisa.All 4 daughters unmarried.

I know that Bertha and Violet married, and both married men with fairly common names (Finch and Cooper respectively) so hard to follow up there.

Pat... thanks for that, does it help to have Priscillas burial details? Hope it is not going to be too time consuming for you.I wish I could go in person, after all the research I have done into the Daniel family, I would love to visit the grave.I just hope there are some clues on the gravestone, if they are all together that would be great.

Thanks everyone

Brenda

Comment

Did Robert leave a Will???? that might help
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X