Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scanning advice please

Not sure where to post this...

I'm trying to scan a photo that appeared in a newspaper in 1944. So its VERY tatty & poor quality compared to what we see in papers now.

Not surprisingly, the photo is coming out very dotty, so I can't blow it up to see the faces more clearly. Its about 14cm x 9 cm & I would like to be able to enlarge it on the screen, it doesn't have to be good enough to print out.

I have a cheap scanning program (ie free with the printer) that doesn't have the option of a filter for newsprint. I can alter things like dpi, contrast sampling etc.

It actually looks better on the scanning preview screen than after its scanned, so I've obviously not found the right combination of settings yet.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to minimise the dottiness?
    Vicky

Vicky not much I can say to help except the lasses on photo restoration thread always say do on 300 dpi or higher ,,,,
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I find fiddling about with the image in a programme like Paintshop Pro can often smooth things out....using the 'deinterlace'tool, or the moire pattern removal tool...sometimes 'texture smoothing' tool...play around a bit to find what works for you.

Do you select 'colour photo' when you scan, or use the document grey scale or newspaper b&w options?

Beverley

Comment

thanks for the suggestions.

after a lot of experimenting, I think I get the best pix with a lower, rather than higher, resolution. Higher seems to emphasis the dots, rather than diminish them.

I've tried both grey-scale & colour: when I convert the colour to b&w it looks identical to the greyscale. This scanner doesn't have an option for newsprint.

As for fiddling in photoshop: unfortunately when I try to smooth it, it has the effect of blurring the faces, which of course defeats the object!

I think, given the quality of the original, I'll have to settle for what I've got :(
        Vicky

Comment

Why not try and contact the paper and find out if they have the original and get a copy?

Comment

cos I don't know what paper its from!
            Vicky

Comment

This might be a remarkably stupid suggestion....but I just experimented taking a photo of a newspaper pic with my digital camera....seemed to be an acceptable image resulted, altho' the text was a bit blurred. Might you be able to photo, rather than scan, then play about with the results?

Beverley

Comment

I would recomend taking a photo of it with a good digital camera

Comment

Working...
                X