Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May have found some Quakers in OH's tree...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May have found some Quakers in OH's tree...

Just to put you on the alert, Merry - I will probably have loads of questions to ask in a minute! I've got one of his lines back as far as a John Coulson and Ruth Glaister who married 15 Feb 1794 at Bromfield, Cumberland. Both are on the 1841 but not after that, as far as I can see, so all I know is they were born in Cumberland (John's age is given as 75 in 1841 and Ruth's as 70.) I was having trouble finding a baptism for Ruth Glaister but looking at the Ancestry World Tree, there is somebody who has a Ruth Glaister, daughter of William Glaister and Mary Ostle who got married 15 Oct 1756 at "Beckfoot Meeting, England". And googling "Beckfoot Meeting" comes up with this:
    Quakers on the Solway Plain
    It mentions the name Dan Glaister, and one of John and Ruth's grandchildren was called Dan Glaister Nichol, so it looks as though I might be on the right track!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I can't run away quickly because of my argument with the stairs yesterday!

lol

*awaits difficult questions*

Comment

Okay, I suppose the obvious one is - am I likely to find Ruth's birth and other BMD's for her family anywhere online, or is it going to be a record office job? Or do there tend to be CD's / transcriptions or anything like that available for Quaker records? If so, where should I look?

I do think it's pretty likely that this is the right Ruth, because her first two children were called William and Mary (I know, what are the chances, eh?) and there are also children with the same names as that Ruth's brothers, plus Ruth and her husband were pretty late getting most of their children baptised, but obviously I need some hard evidence!
      KiteRunner

Comment

Kite Runner,

Have you seen this?

RootsWeb: QUAKER-BRITISH-ISLES-L Re: [Q-B-I] GLAISTER of Cumberland

BeckfootMarriages

I have Quaker ancestors too.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Really it's pot luck as to how easy it is to find Quaker records

There are some on the IGI (My Bristol ones are mostly on the IGI)

Copies of all the meeting records will be at the local CRO.

You can sometimes find resources via County Family History Societies, either to buy fiche/cd's or ask for a lookup.

Things to know.....

Generally the Q population was small so in any given area the records will not be numerous, so if anyone can find a batch of info it's not going to have dozens of entries every month.

Info is usually better than for C of E. So more useful if you can find it.

I see some earlier Q Glaisters went to the US! lol that should keep you busy!

Look at Contents and Research here:

Quaker Family History Society - the society for family historians with Quaker ancestors

tells you what sort of info you might find.

There's also the Q library in Euston Road London that has obits for most Victorian Qs (not sure about earlier?), regardless of their social standing etc! Trouble is it's a right palaver to visit, you have to take a reference from someone important!!

Comment

Thanks, you two. That lot should keep me busy for a while!
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
              I have Quaker ancestors too.
              Apologies if I've asked before, but where are yours from, Elizabeth?!!

Comment

My Quakers are JEFFCOAT.

They were originally from Hempton in Oxfordshire, then in Winchendon Buckinghamshire. Then Daniel Jeffcoat moved to Greenford and then Islington.

Daniel Jeffcoat (born 1 March 1789 Winchendon) and some of his siblings went to the Quaker school at Ackworth in Yorkshire. One of his sisters Rebecca did one of the famous Ackworth Quaker samplers:

Needleprint - Rebecca Jeffcoat's Ackworth Sampler - chart: Criss Cross Row

My kinsman and Jeffcoat descendant in Devon managed to purchase the original sampler in the 1980s (I think) when it came up for sale. It hangs on his wall!

My Daniel was baptised on his wedding day in 1815 in Aylesbury so he could marry his sweetheart, who wasn't a Quaker.

Most of his siblings lapsed, but a couple continued as Quakers.

Where do yours hail from, and what surname are they? I find the Quakers fascinating.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Sorry about this, Kite!! lol

Erm......My early ones (1680 onwards) were called Tyler from villages around Banbury, Oxfordshire. Later I have a Smith (!) who converted in 1780 to marry a Q from Worcester and they settled in Witney Oxfordshire.

I have other side branches from Warwickshire (Brailes) and Bristol areas (Marshall, Hunt and Capper are the main names).

I have two brothers who went to Ackworth - John and Robert Horniman who were there 1814-17 and 1804-1807 respectively.

Rather too many of my Q rellies seem to have ended up at the York Retreat (a Q mental asylum) where one of my rellies, Bedford Pierce (another Q) was in charge for many years! My mum says it's because they were too inbred! lol

Comment

That sampler is lovely!

Here is one done by my 4xg-grandmother, Hannah Thackwell (another Q - the one from Worcester)

My family drifted away from Quakerism around the time of WW1.

Now, Kite........what were you saying??

Comment

I think Ackworth was a pretty grim experience.

The Jeffcoat children were there for a couple of years each, as it was such a long way from home in those days. The pictures look pretty grim!

Coincidentally, my sister-in-law's youngest sister went to Ackworth for a few years in the late 1960s. Her family were Quaker. She really enjoyed it there.

My earliest Jeffcoat, John c 1660, married Hannah Gilkes in South Newington. They were from Sibford Gower. Then the next generation married into the Adkins family. After that the Eaton family.

One of my contacts and a distant relative has written a 200 page book on his Purser family, including details of the Jeffcoats as he is descended from a Jeffcoat woman. Some libraries have copies.

My daughter has bought Rebecca Jeffcoat's sampler to stich - it's lovely.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, KiteRunner.:o
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Your sampler is beautiful, too, Merry!
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Oooh, some of mine were from Sibford Gower and South (and North) Newington!

I wish that sampler was "mine"......unfortunately it shot off down a different line and I have never actually seen it.....but I have walked down the street where it's owner lives a couple of years ago, before I knew of it's existance! lol

Comment

Merry

I had ancestors from around Whichford, Brailes and Sibford Gower. Not Quakers though and all had dreary common names like Matthews, Nash etc.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have a number of WARRs from South Newington. Later generations were Methodist or Congregationalist, but it's beginning to look as if some of the earlier ones may have been Quakers.

Other Banbury area families were STRATFORD (in Wigginton), and GARDNER (in Swalcliffe).

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looking at the online transcriptions of one of the parish churches in the area where OH's putative ancestors lived, there are quite a few entries for people who were baptised later in childhood or as teenagers or adults which say "formerly Quaker", so it looks as though quite a few of them switched over - and no doubt some went over the other way too.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

I forgot to say before, but looking at the BMD Registers site, it promises that Quaker records are "coming soon".
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                  X