Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading an address please

Hi

I have just recieved the marriage cert of my granddad's brother Frederick George Jacobs to Emily Elizabeth Butler. (married 23rd April 1906, St Andrews Church, Croydon)

Could someone familiar with Woolwich/Croydon help with the address please. Here are some clues

Frederick was a publican, in 1920 he ran The Albion Tavern, 33 Albion Road, Woolwich.

In 1921 he died (of Cirrhosis of the liver) and his address was 54, Wandle Road, Croydon.

I can make out Emily's address Meadow Stile, Croydon ( which is next to Wandle Rd)

Fredericks occupation at the time of his marriage was Hotel Keeper, I can see it's Spread Eagle, but the only Spread Eagle I can find was one in Greenwich.. wrong road anyway.

Any ideas on the name of the road, and if it is indeed Woolwich. I have tried Portland, Postland, Polland, but nothing.

Thanks
    Sandra

Last edited by Sandra; 12-03-08, 12:52.

Sandra - there's a Spread Eagle Public House, South Portland Road, Croydon, showing up in an address search of the 1881.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thanks Gillian, just off to have a look.

Sandra

edited - I have just had a look, and South Portland Road is in Norwood, Croydon.
      Right area for Emily, but miles away from Woolwich. I'm positive it does say Woolwich on the cert.
      Last edited by Sandra; 12-03-08, 12:54.

Comment

It says Portland Road Woodside, not Woolwich.

There seem to be a lot of Chinese restaurants there nowadays.

Junction Chinese, London - UK takeaway with menu
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 12-03-08, 13:34.

Comment

I agree with Mary: Portland Road, Woodside, which ties in with "Meadow ?Stile?, Croydon" below.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thank you both Mary and John.

Sandra

Comment

According to Streetmap.co.uk there is a Meadow Stile off High Street, Croydon.

Though I'd never heard of it and I used to go shopping regularly in the High St.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Meadow Stile runs w-e into the High Street (A235) south of Laud St and north of West St - you can see it on googlemaps.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                X