Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Ridgeway

Hi
    My G G Grandfather John Ridgeway was born in Ashbrittle Somerset abt 1833.He married Mary Edwards in Margam South Wales.On the marriage cert his father is named as Samuel Ridgeway,who doesnt seem to have existed.
    I have searched the censuses ,I cant find John as a child,I have checked every Samuel Ridgeway I can find,but no John.
    I bought a CD of all the area around Ashbrittle,no luck at all.
    Can anyone help me to find this elusive family,all help will be appreciated.
    Barrie

Have you tried looking for Ridgway?

Comment

This might be him in 1851:

HO107; Piece: 1890; Folio: 244; Page: 16

Comment

I wonder if he only thought he was born in Ashbrittle?

No baptism on this list:

Transcripts of "St John the Baptist" Ashbrittle, Somerset,<br> Bishop's Transcripts 1601 -1837

Comment

There are 3 John Ridgeways born Ashbrittle in 1881 census, born 1929, 1833, and 1835.

But Ashbrittle is on FreeREg and although there are some Ridgeway baptisms, and even some Johns, none that match with 1881 census.

No Samuel Ridgeways mentioned in baptisms.

But this might just mean that your lot weren't C of E.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This person appears to be researching the same family as you - but hasn't got quite so much info - or not online, anyway:
            RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Davies Family in Ottawa (with Laskeys, Harding, Bevans and Ridgeways too)

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Re John Ridgeway

Hi
              Thank you all for replying ,I really appreciate it.I would like to get a lot further with this tree as its my mothers family and she will be 92 years old soon.
              I have given up on the Davies family in Ottawa, I have sent them birth certs ,marriage certs in fact everything i have, and they have never replied.
              I have tried spelling the name differently,I really have hit a brick wall with this one.
              My Wife was researching her family and on her g grandfathers marriage cert it named his father as Elihu Parfitt,when it should have been Peter Elihu,maybe the same thing is happening with Johns father Samuel.
              Thank you again
              Barrie

Comment

What does it say for Samuel's occupation on the marriage certificate?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Re Samuel Ridgeway

On the Marriage cert Samuels occupation is farm labourer.
                  Barrie

Comment

Only other possibility is that John was born, baptised with a different surname - perhaps because he was illegitimate. He may have invented Samuel for his marriage cert. Or perhaps his mother married Samuel later and John took his surname too.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Barrie, I hope you look back, as I had a look at Ashbrittle PRs while I was in the RO today.
                      I searched between 1825 & 1840 & the only John I could find was baptised Nov 27th 1825 the illegitimate son of Sarah Ridgway, spinster.
                      I also found these others;

1830 Aug 22nd, William Hart, illegitimate son of Sarah Ridgway, spinster
                      1832 Jun 10th, James, illegitimate son of Jane Ridgway, spinster
                      1833 Dec 22nd, Mary, daughter of James & Mary Ann Ridgway, labourer
                      1835 Oct 25th, James son of James & Mary Ann Ridgway, labourer
                      1838 Sept 2nd, Jane daughter of James & Ann Ridgway, labourer
                      1840 Feb 14th, Hariet daughter of James & Ann Ridgway, labourer

Hope these help.
                      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Working...
                      X