lewisham look up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lewisham look up

would somebody be able to look at an electoral roll for 1940/41(they were around then i hope) for me.

My grandfather died in 1941,and his place of residence is given as 182 Ladywell road,Lewisham,however I've been in touch with their local studies centre who tell me there aren't that many house's,so it must be number 82,and i have to admit the one does look like a mark more than anything.

I was also told he may have been buried in ladywell cemetery,but i then found a website and although there are several hatton's he wasn't one of them.

His name was Silas Hatton,and i'm hoping he's listed with his wife,Amelia.
    "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Electoral rolls aren't available online. You would need someone to go to a records office/lbrary to check. Alternatively, as you have an exact addres and only 1 or 2 years to check, if you ask very nicely the relevant library might look it up if you e-mail them.

Lewisham Council - Lewisham local studies centre
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

No Electoral Rolls were taken between 1939 and 1945 unfortunately.

There was however a National Identity Register. How, or even if, you can access that I have no idea.

OC

Comment

Gosh, I forgot that. Well done, OC. Maybe the Lewisham Local History Centre can advise, or they might have residential directories, etc of the period.

Comment

Sorry, you've already contacted them. I misread.

Comment

Nell

You would think THEY would have pointed that fact out to Alanjohn. (No Electoral Rolls during the war, I mean).

I think it would be worth another ask for alternatives, such as street directories etc - even Rates Books. Sounds to me as if they don't have a clue what they have and haven't got.

OC

Comment

Nope they didn't say that,i e-mailed them because i had some questions about his death certificate,it seemed to say "causing the body to be buried Lewisham hospital",i thought it was odd and asked if he would have been buried on hospital grounds,which i was told he wasn't,although they did suggest Ladywell cemetery.
              I know he died in hospital.

Comment

Alan

The informant was presumably the person "causing the body to be buried". I think this just means that a person from the hospital sorted out the funeral arrangements (not that he was buried in the hospital grounds - most hospitals don't have burial grounds attached - but it does mean there was no close relative to register the death.

Comment

Sounds like you were given the big brush off, Alanjohn.

"Causing the body to be buried" is put on a cert when the informant is not known to the dead person AND they have taken responsibility for burying the body (and the expense thereof).

Can often be an Undertaker, or possibly in your case, an Almoner at the hospital.(Which would probably make it a pauper's burial)

Today this sort of thing is done by Council Departments, who usually have a Bereavement Officer who handles the deceased's affairs and tries to find living relatives.

I would look for the nearest burial ground to the hospital and contact them, see if they did paupers burials for the time frame.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Alan

The informant was presumably the person "causing the body to be buried". I think this just means that a person from the hospital sorted out the funeral arrangements (not that he was buried in the hospital grounds - most hospitals don't have burial grounds attached - but it does mean there was no close relative to register the death.
                    i think there must be some family issue's i didn't know about here,i know my dad and his brother's would have been away,but my aunt was still around.

just wondering why they wouldn't have sorted this out instead of the hospital.

I don't know whan his wife Amelia died,but maybe it was before him.

Comment

thank's OCH,like i said,with all that family,i don't know why it ended like this,curious though...

Comment

Perhaps whoever was around = his widow, or the aunt, wasn't in a state to sort things out.

Comment

Thing is, if you know the answer then it all makes sense. It's only when you don't know the answer that it doesn't make sense, lol.

Maybe the aunt didn't want to be lumbered with the funeral bill - or maybe she did, but instructed an undertaker to act on her behalf, or a solicitor or someone else.

I think you need to find where he was buried. If it was a pauper's grave then that will tell you something about the family dynamics if nothing else.

Families do the oddest things. My great great uncle is buried in the family grave. Not a mention of his loving wife and twin daughters - I didn't even know they existed till two years ago. No family falling out either. Completely inexplicable.

OC

Comment

I had a 1947 one - "causing the body to be buried" - it turned out it was the owner of the house where the chap had been lodging (thanks to electoral look up ) Recent one 2005 was a social worker.

Comment

I do know what you mean,as far as i know my grandfather is buried in Totnes,but when my grandmother died she was cremated and scattered on her daughter's grave here in Cornwall.

Comment

Hi,

82 Ladywell Road sounds very familiar to me. I think it was the Ladywell Institution, connected with the Bermondsey Workhouse.

Maybe try Lewisham Library again. They are usually very good. Maybe you just got them on a bad day before.

Al

Comment

Googling does suggest that 82 Ladywell Road was the workhouse, which included the infirmary.
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The year 1941 would have been a year bristling with air raids over London. Is it possible he could have died in an air raid? Maybe the rest of his were family killed in the same raid in which case he might have nobody left to bury him? This did happen a lot, particulaly in 1941 which was one of the worst years for Blitz in London and elsewhere.

I doubt that that you can access National Identity Card Numbers, as all these were incorporated into one's National Health Service Number when the NHS was created in 1948, and these numbers only disappeared from people's NHS Cards about 4/5 years ago, when all the numbers were totally changed.

Janet
                                    Last edited by Janet; 29-10-08, 17:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                      The year 1941 would have been a year bristling with air raids over London. Is it possible he could have died in an air raid? Maybe the rest of his were family killed in the same raid in which case he might have nobody left to bury him? This did happen a lot, particulaly in 1941 which was one of the worst years for Blitz in London and elsewhere.

I doubt that that you can access National Identity Card Numbers, as all these were incorporated into one's National Health Service Number when the NHS was created in 1948, and these numbers only disappeared from people's NHS Cards about 4/5 years ago, when all the numbers were totally changed.

Janet
                                      He did have at least three sons(one's my dad),and two daughters that i've found.All seem to have passed away over the last 10-15 years,although i still have one unacounted for.
                                      The sons i know of all served abroad,my dad was in the navy and i believe the other two were army. I will get in touch with Lewisham again though,thanks.
                                      I know the sons and daughters were married by '41,i would have thought he'd have lived with family,unless they lost touch some how.

Comment

Try Hither Green cemetery thats near Lewisham.

Comment

Working...
                                        X