Help reading a will, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading a will, please

I think that this will (of Elizabeth Warren, Tisbury, Wiltshire) may be a major key to unlocking my Hibberd's...depending on what you think a word may say!

Here's the image:

The second last line finishes 'unto my' and the third line starts '??? Mary Hibberd daughter of John Hibberd'. You can see the same strange word at the end of the top line. I'm sure it's some sort of relationship as there are lots of other similar statements which say sister, nephew etc.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

I think it is "Niece", William. Would that be feasible?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I think it's niece too. Same word as the last one in the top line.

Comment

Elizabeth - thanks....I'm not sure. It'd be nice to think so - but it doesn't look like it to me....but I hope it is!
        Kind regards,
        William

Comment

It doesn't look a lot like niece, but it does look more like niece than any other female relationship that I can think of.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'm nearly convinced - I'll sleep on it and then see what it would all mean!
            Thanks for your time!
            Kind regards,
            William

Comment

I think the "iece" part looks exactly like the normal writing for the PRO wills. The N is perhaps not quite usual.

I didn't bother reading what you wanted to know before I read the will snippet, but read it as niece that time too!!

Comment

The first letter of the word 'niece', which seems to be the consensus of opinion, appears to look almost identical to the first letter of the word on the bottom far right, on the last line. Can't even read that, either LOL! Not much help, eh?

Chris

Comment

lol Chris, that says Nephew, so you are right!!

Comment

If its still any help, I thought it said niece straight away, before I had read all the replies.

Anne

Comment

Thankyou for all your replies - I'll go with 'niece'!
                      Kind regards,
                      William

Comment

Working...
                      X