1871 census help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1871 census help please

Please can someone help me by looking at the transcription on Ancestry (my subs. have run out) for William Graham age 25 born Scotland living Liverpool, West Derby, Toxteth Park 14/208. Very many thanks,
    Cath.
    Cath.

Hi Cath

William is living as a lodger at 65 Bute Street, Everton. He's a Warehouseman.

Hope this is what you need.

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

Cath - The only two I can find living in Liverpool seem way out fromyour criteria. Both of these born in Scotland, but one was married to an Isabella and was 31 years, and the other William Graham was 48 years, a boarder, and a sailor on home leave.

Nah, that can't be right...........LOL!

Chris

Comment

Thanks

Gwyn - In the index I found Wm. Graham, born Scotland, age 25....ED, inst. or vessel 14, Household schedule 208. Is this the one you have? My chap was a Wine merchants clerk in 61 but then I loose him. If it's the same one is it possible for you to give me the rest of the household.
        Thanks again,
        Cath.
        Cath.

Comment

Hi Cath,
          I've had a quick look for you and the only William graham age 25 born in Scotland in 1871living in Liverpool is at 65 Bute St, Everton where he's shown as a lodger. His occupation is warehousman.
          Is this the one?
          Margaret

Comment

Hi Cath

Here's the rest of the household: (The one I found) The ref for this is Piece 3810 Folio 102 Page 38, so I don't think we match!

Mary Ashton 46
            Thomas Ashton 24
            D Durkin 23
            Mary Farquharson 22
            John Garnett 17
            John Slavistreet 28
            Robert Young 38

Gwyn
            Last edited by Oscar; 11-03-08, 16:50. Reason: additional info

Comment

Very odd - the ref. I found def.says West Derby, Toxteth Park as the addy. then ED inst. or vessel 14, household schedule 208. I wonder why it doesn't appear for anyone else.
              Cath.
              Cath.

Comment

To find a census entry, you need the folio and page numbers. There's nowhere on the form to put address, or ed,inst vessel and household schedule number.

I can't see any males born Scotland in West Derby.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'm at a loss Cath - can't see any other possibles whatsoever - sorry!

Gwyn

Comment

Cath

Recheck your ref - are you sure his name is spelled correctly etc.

Comment

Sorry everyone
                      I've just realised I found the reference via nationalarchives.gov.uk/census/ and not directly from Ancestry. I just entered William Graham, residing Lancashire, born 1846 +/-2 in Dumfries and he's the fourth person listed. Any help very much appreciated.
                      Cath.
                      Cath.

Comment

Only chap in Lancs born in Dumfries called William Graham born 1825.

Comment

I think this is the one you mean:

RG10 3810 122 38

Born Scotland - no mention of Dumfries, he is lodging in West Derby, a warehouseman, unmarried aged 25.

OC

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone. William is still a bit of a puzzle.
                            Cath.
                            Cath.

Comment

In what way?

Comment

Nell, birth not registered but he's with family in Dumfries in 1851 and living with Uncle in Liverpool in 1861. Then he disappears. Surviving (adult) siblings and his widowed mother are all in Birkenhead and Liverpool area by 1871.
                                Cath.

Comment

Perhaps he went to sea or joined the army?

Comment

William Graham

Cath,
                                    I have had a look at 1871 census and found a William Graham aged 25 born Scotland. He was living at 65 Bute Street, Everton, Liverpool. He is shown as a lodger and his occupation is a warehouseman.

Hope this helps

Martyn

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
                                      Nell, birth not registered but he's with family in Dumfries in 1851 and living with Uncle in Liverpool in 1861. Then he disappears. Surviving (adult) siblings and his widowed mother are all in Birkenhead and Liverpool area by 1871.
                                      Civil registration didn't start in Scotland until 1855, so the best you are likely to find is his baptism in the Old Parochial Registers (OPRs) on ScotlandsPeople.

Just had a look for Willaim Graham, Dumfriesshire in 1844 (4), 1845 (2) and 1846 (2).

So it will cost one credit (20p) to get a list of these 8 people. I've got no credits left, unfortunately.
                                      Last edited by Uncle John; 12-03-08, 08:26.
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank U John .The ones on SP have the wrong parents. I've just gone back to looking for this chap (Grandad's brother) after leaving him alone for a couple of years. It's beginning to look like yet another brick wall!
                                        Cath.
                                        Cath.

Comment

Working...
                                        X