Leasehold or Freehold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leasehold or Freehold?

Could sks please check this 1851, Ho107 2118 149 18 (Goxhill Lincs), and see if Richard Young & his nephew Thomas farmed leasehold or freehold please?
    Then could someone explain what that meant, did they own land or not? Thanks
    Lynn

I would say that it says freehold which I belive means they own the land.
    If it was leasehold then someone else would own the land and they would have to pay for the lease. At least that's how it is with houses these days.

Regards
    Linda
    LindaG

Comment

Not sure if this is the same but when we bought our first house there were two prices, freehold and leasehold and we couldn't afford the extra (peanuts now) money for the freehold so we bought the house leasehold and had to pay an annual rent for the ground so I'd guess they owned the land.

I'll be watching this, I'm sure OC will know the correct answer.
      Heather

Comment

It says freehold. This would have been entered by the enumerator, for statistical purposes, to show the social level of the person.

The simple difference between freehold and leasehold -

Freehold meant you owned the land and property outright, free from any legal encumbrances. It was yours to do with as you wished.

Leasehold meant you didn't own it, almost always paid rent to a landlord (but not ALWAYS) and that it was not yours to dispose of, but someone else's.

OC

Comment

A Lease would be granted for a number of years. Usually 99 or in exceptional circumstances 999 years although there is no reason why any other period could not be given. Basically it meant that the Leaseholder had the use of the land for that period (Subject to the payment of a usually nominal sum, hence the expression "Peppercorn Rent") and could build homes or use it as they saw fit, but at the end of the lease the Leaseholder had to hand back the land to the Owner. Leasehold property could be sold the same as any other property, but subject to the same limitations which the Owner had set. Obviously a property with only a few years left on the Lease would not command such a high price as one with a long term left. At the end of the term the Owner would also receive the benefit of any improvements, such as Buildings etc., which the Leaseholder had had erected.
          Last edited by Grampa Jim; 11-03-08, 15:49.
          Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Grampa

Can you amend the second word of your post to read Leasehold, please!LOL.

OC

Comment

Right, so it looks like they owned land, I wonder why I can't find any trace of Richard leaving a will? Maybe he left it all to Thomas.
              Lynn

Comment

oops!
                Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Lyn

Can you follow the address forward?

He may have given the land to his son before he died. You very rarely find details of land transference in Wills, in my experience. Depending on when he died, the land would go by law to his eldest son.

You MIGHT find details of the sale of the land, in the County Records Office, but this is very hit and miss. If the sale was handled by a solicitor, then the records will still be with the solicitor unless he is one of those far-thinking generous types who dumps all his old papers on the Archives instead of burning them.

OC

Comment

Sadly not OC, his address was only gievn as Church end, which is the road. He died in 1855, so I was hoping for a will at TNA, but there wasn't anything. In 1861, neither his son Joseph or nephew Thomas were living in Church End.
                    Lynn

Comment

Working...
                    X