Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alices Ancestors

Hi all,

It's a shameless plug, but I've just set up my new family history site with a guide and resources and help for finding your family tree. It's mainly aimed at beginners in the UK.

I'd welcome all your thoughts and comments about how I could improve it, please be nice.

The site is here: Alices Ancestors - Family Tree Help
    and the family tree guide is here Alices Ancestors - Family Tree Guide

Alice

Alice

Two observations:

Tribal Pages is a free Tree building site which is much simpler than the GR tree and not subject to the limitations - easy to show cousin marriages, easy to delete mistakes and you can "park" unconnected info on it.

Also, you very quickly need a tree building programme on your own PC - any internet site could vanish tomorrow and all your hard work with it. There are many free downloadable trees, or you can buy FTM for about a fiver.

Also, I would never advise ANYONE to use GR to search records - it is the most expensive way of doing it that I know. GR merely redirect your searches to another site and takes a rake off for doing so. Many of the searches they charge for are completely free through other sites.

Apart from that - fine!

OC

Comment

Hang on a minute. where is the link to this site LOL.

Comment

Hi both - thanks for the feedback.

OC - I'll be sure to update the guide with this very useful information.
        Pat/DR - link should be visible in the top post? Send me an e-mail if you can't see it and I'll mail it to you.

Alice

Comment

Originally posted by AliceG View Post
          Hi both - thanks for the feedback.

OC - I'll be sure to update the guide with this very useful information.
          Pat/DR - link should be visible in the top post? Send me an e-mail if you can't see it and I'll mail it to you.

Alice
          Nah, Alice....she means where on your site is the link to FTF? Surely there is room to recommend this site to newbies! It is the most helpful I have ever come across.

PS...you site looks great! ;)

Comment

i'd put freebmd way above GR in terms of ''established research sites'' and its free.

You also seem to suggest that you dont need certs once you are back to 1901. i'd have said they were almost essential at every stage of research
            Last edited by Jessbowbag; 11-03-08, 08:56.
            Jess

Comment

I've only looked very briefly, but I didn't notice anything about talking to older relatives about the past before you lose the chance forever. Apologies if it's there in your site already!!

Comment

Thanks for all the comments!

Hi all - thanks for all the feedback.
                Here is "the plan"...

Jessbowbag - FreeBMD is on my list of sites above GR, but it's not as prominent in the guide - I'll update the guide and get it put up shortly. I'll also clarify the language on certs as I totally agree with you.

Lyn A & DR - Whoops. Sorry I was being slow - the link to FTF is now on the site list page.

MerryMonty - The talk to your relatives is in there on page 2 of the guide (point number 5). But I've had a couple of friends say that they didn't realise there was a page two of the guide, so I'm going to change the text links to big purple buttons to make them easier to see.

Thanks for all the feedback guys - it is really appreciated

Alice

Comment

Working...
                X