Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gerkin problem's...

My missus has a gerkin in her tree!
    Vina Caroline Gerkin,age 27 married Richard James Walters of Crowan in 1895,however i'm a bit stuck on where she was before that.
    Her father is given as Robert Gerkin,bootmaker,and on the marriage it say's she's from Norfolk.
    I reckon she was going by caroline,and i've found a Caroline Gurkin B.1868 in Tristow,Norfolk in the 1881 census,she's aged 13 and at the union workhouse,most of the other gurkin/gerkin's seem to be round suffolk,but i still can't find Robert the bootmaker ,
    Any thought's anyone?
    "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

IN the same 1881 census there is a Robert Gurkin b1822 Felsham occupation shoemaker, plus some little Gurkins!

Maria Gurkin aged 10
    Robt. Gurkin 59
    Sabina Gurkin age 8
    Elaine

Comment

I'll have a look. They like food names in Norfolk, in one parish I found a whole load of Lemon, Crisp, Fry, Baker, Goat(e), Butcher and Lamb.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1871 census
        RG10; Piece: 1726; Folio: 41; Page: 9

Robert, wife Emma and children - transcribed as Girkin
        Elaine

Comment

1861 -Girkin
          RG9; Piece: 1139; Folio: 33; Page: 9
          Elaine

Comment

1851 - Girkin
            HO107; Piece: 1791; Folio: 478; Page: 9;

Wife is Elizabeth, not Emma as in the others - so maybe Emma was second marriage.
            Elaine

Comment

Possible birth
              Caroline Girkin 1867 Oct-Nov-Dec Thingoe 4a p.438

Thingoe reg distict includes Troston [there is no Tristow in Norfolk as far as I am aware].

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                1851 - Girkin
                HO107; Piece: 1791; Folio: 478; Page: 9;

Wife is Elizabeth, not Emma as in the others - so maybe Emma was second marriage.
                Don't know how i missed this lot!!been going round in circles on a****y and the IGI for an hour or more,thankyou so much!:D

Wonder why Vina ended up in Crowan,Cornwall?
                Last edited by alanjohn; 10-03-08, 17:33. Reason: a question
                "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Comment

If none of her family moved with her, I am guessing she was in domestic service and moved where her employers went.

My Cornish gt grandmother ended up in Richmond, Surrey, working for a chap whose wife was born in Cornwall.

Comment

You'll just have to watch out for anyone with the surname PICKLE(S)!
                    :D

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                    X