Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was there a lower age limit for working in Pubs ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was there a lower age limit for working in Pubs ??

I am trying to find a Alexander Muller born in 1882 Poplar Bromley on the 1901 census
    I have found a Alexander Miller born abt 1877 Poplar Bromley working in a Pub
    The family all seemed to change thier surname to Miller at about this time
    Is it possible its him ???? and maybe he lied to appear older as to working in a Pub or was it a free for all in those days.
    Thanks

He doesn't seem to appear as a separate person (as Miller) on earlier censuses, so it might well be him.

I don't think there could have been a minimum age for working in a pub as my gran was working in one in 1901 and she was only 14/15. Mind you, her father was the landlord, so maybe that made it OK??!!! lol

Comment

ooh do hope so Merry ,it also says he is married so am desperately trying to find his wife .

Comment

Is this him?

Marriages Mar 1900
        Adams Henry Jaggard Camberwell 1d 929
        Muller Alexander Camberwell 1d 929
        Müller Alexander Camberwell 1d 929
        Pullan Florence Jane Camberwell 1d 929
        Tisdell Mary Ann S Camberwell 1d 929

Both the brides only have one match for a birth (assuming they were both spinsters!), but that isn't helping me positively identify any of them in 1901!!

Comment

oh thanks Merry do you think Camberwell is a good bet for the right area ????

Comment

I very much doubt that there was any problem with teenagers working in pubs. Children as young as 9 were doing 12-hour shifts in factories.

But I am a bit dubious about the 5 year age difference.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My grandmother is living and working in a pub on the 1901 census. She was born in 1886. Her place of birth is incorrect but I wondered whether her employees had filled in the census info and got it wrong.

Comment

oh really nell thats disappointing
                Boudicca I have quite few change their place of birth from one census to another

Comment

Working...
                X