Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting in a muddle here with the Searles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting in a muddle here with the Searles...

I've just received the marriage cert for Charlotte Searle and Frederick Cheeseman dated 29 June 1901 at the Register Office in Pancras, London. Both living at 72 Judd Street. Frederick is there on the 1901 census (transcribed as Chessman on ancestry) but where is Charlotte? She gives her age as 20 on the marriage cert but it doesn't have details of who gave their consent. (Marriage was by certificate.) Her father is William Searle (deceased), a mechanical engineer. (On her second marriage cert his occupation is engineer's fitter.) Witnesses were D Anderson - who is also living at 72 Judd Street on the census - and John Reddy. There is a Charlotte Hopkins age 23 born Islington at 72 Judd Street but no Charlotte Searle. I thought I had found my Charlotte as a visitor with the Wordley family in Clapham - she is about the right age, 19, born Middlesex Teddington, but looking for her on the 1891 the only one I could find is this one:
    RG12; Piece: 618; Folio 104; Page 105
    but her age is given as 5. It looks as though the enumerator was filling in the sheet column by column instead of row by row, put all the ages for the household in wrong and then corrected them by writing the correct ages on top, then either he or somebody else wrote the ages in the next column. It does say 5 for Charlotte there, but it looks to me as though her age was originally corrected to 9. Does anybody else think so? In which case, she can't be the right Charlotte because her father is George T (and his marriage reg is in the name of George Thomas Searle so he wasn't just going by a false name on the census to confuse me!)

So can anybody find the right Charlotte on any census, please? And / or can anybody help me rule out that Charlotte Hopkins?

I should add that I have no idea where "my" Charlotte was born.
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 10-03-08, 12:17.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Update - I've just spent ages following a William Searle born Stratford Essex who is an engine fitter on the 1881 but he seems to be a red herring because he's still alive on the 1901 census (name is Searles though) and I can't see a death for him as either Searle or Searles in 1901. Of course he didn't have a Charlotte with him on any census, but there are a few Charlotte Searles around who are patients or visitors or whatever on the censuses, so I was hoping he would turn out to be my Charlotte's father. Back to the drawing board...
    KiteRunner

Comment

I'm off to look.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've tried Searl, Searle, Serl, Serle, Surl. Surle, Tearle, Turl, Terle and Learl etc without success.

I'm guessing that as they married in St Pancras same year as census she should be living nearby - though they may have just used Fred's address as a convenience rather than because she was actually living there.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for trying, Nell. I may have to wait for the 1911 census to sort this out - though what's the betting she just gives her birthplace as "London" on there?!
          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
          X