Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have time to see what they think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have time to see what they think?

I have BC for Alice Bigwood born 1896 parents are Emily J & William Bigwood and are on this cenus RG12, Piece, 322, Folio 97, Page 24, but with another child named Alice J Bigwood who is only two months old. There is a birth registered for Alice J in 1891 and I figured she died and as they did then when they had another daughter in 1896 called her Alice.
    Only problem is I cannot find a death for Alice J the only death I can see for a Bigwood is Alice Ellen in 1891.
    I've looked at the original census to see if the J should be an E but dont think so has anyone the time to look to see what they think.
    GWEN

where was Alice 1 born?
    Jess

Comment

I agree that the J is correct in the image - the name on the death in 1891 might be wrong, especially if the death was reported by a neighbour? Can't see another Alice who could fit in 1901 (if she was really daughter of someone else) Sorry
      ;) Helen x

Comment

oops she was born 1891 and is on the 1891 census (details as given in previous post) as being 2 months old
        GWEN

Comment

Bow, London - Jess
          ;) Helen x

Comment

Sorry I think I am cracking up this is my sister-in-laws family tree I am doing as a gift and it has caused me no end of problems. Alice was born in Bow London registering district is Poplar.
            GWEN

Comment

LOL - it's early yet Gwen, am I right in thinking that the other Alice is part of the family in Bromley - and reports her birth as being in Bromley (and that of her sibs?)
              ;) Helen x

Comment

Two births:

Alice Jane Bigwood 1891 Jan-Feb-Mar Poplar 1c Page: 682

Alice Bigwood 1896 Jan-Feb-Mar Poplar 1c Page: 613
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Only death is
                  Alice Ellen Bigwood Age at Death: 0 [birth abt 1891] 1891 Jul-Aug-Sep Poplar 1c Page: 373

Which would fit 1891 birth reg and also 1891 census.
                  The only bit which doesn't fit is that birth and census are Alice J[ane] and death is Alice Ellen. Its possible whoever registered the death gave the wrong details, or the parents may have changed their minds about her name. I do have lots of instances of names not being exact for birth/marriage/death or censuses, so I don't think this is unusual. Bigwood is a comparatively unusual name though, so I think you are on the right track.
                  Last edited by Little Nell; 09-03-08, 11:09.

Comment

Yes that is right the family are from Bromley by Bow. Just to make matters worse when I find Alice born in 1896 on the 1901 census she has a different mother called Elizabeth Bigwood but the strange thing is the birth year is the same as Emily J Bigwood and the birth Place. LOL I have looked for a death of Emily J but still looking only can find a Jane who died in 1900.
                    I suspect I will sort it out in the end but have more grey hairs at the end of it.
                    GWEN

Comment

I spent ages looking for a wife's death between censuses and a remarriage, and then had to conclude that the wretched woman, Susanna on everything except one census where she is Sarah must have been either a copying error when the official sheet was filled in after getting householder's form back, or that the wrong information had been given/recorded in the first place. If the birthplace and year match for your mothers, perhaps they are the same woman.

Don't know why this occurs. Only yesterday I found a child baptised Matilda Grace (Grace being mother's name) She is Matilda G on first census, Grace on the second and then married as Grace Matilda.

Comment

Little Nell thanks for looking Alice who was born in 1896 died in 1955. It was Alice J death's I was looking for she must have died before Alice was born in 1896 otherwise they would not have named another child Alice. But I cannot find a death of an Alice J only Alice Ellen. Not sure what I am going to do Alice Ellen could be one and details recorded wrong as they where in those times.
                        I must go and get the pots ready for the roast today!!
                        GWEN

Comment

Little Nell we are on the same wave length as I am begining to think that the Mum named Elizabeth is the same Mum who called herself Emily J especially as I cannot find a recorded death for her pre 1901. I know I have the right family because on some of the original census images William Bigwoods parents are living next door.
                          must go and prepare the roast or I will be in trouble.
                          GWEN

Comment

or the parents may have just decided on Alice Ellen. (or it may say Alice Ellen in the index and something else on the certificate!)

As I said, there aren't any other Alice Bigwood deaths as candidates, so I think you have found the right one - the dates match. If there's only one Alice *whatever* Bigwood born and died 1891 I wouldn't worry. You haven't got any alternative births or deaths for the 1891 Alice.

Names can be very fluid. My husband's gt grandmother is Rosella on marriage and death cert but was registered as Rose. I have an Annie who changes for marriage to Elizabeth Anne and an Eliza Ellen who drops the Eliza in 1901, never to pick it up again.

Its also possible that Alice JaNe was just heard as ElleN (mumble them) by the registrar. Don't expect the grieving family to have noticed or bothered to alter it. One of the marriage certs I have has groom's name spelled incorrectly. He signed it correctly underneath and clearly never noticed or bothered about it.

Comment

Working...
                            X