Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry William Green

Can Someone help please

I am trying to get my family going so I am just trying and see what I can get. My father doesn't know much at all so here is my line u may know more about this family or where I can go to get the information.

what I have so far is

(1)Harry William Green born nsw married Dorothy Hole b 1889 england. Her parents were Joseph G Hole and Emma Langdon
    Harry William Green b 03 Nov 1914 Murundi, N.S.W, Australia died 13 Dec 1974 Meeniyan. Victoria, Australia married 1) Mavis Irene Field b 1919 died 04 Apr 2006 N.S.W Australia (2) Ethel May Sheenan.

Mavis Irene Field married 2nd time to William Clark

(2) Victor Noel Green b ? died 1966 Sutherland N.S.W, Australia

hope u can help thanks
    Peter Green

can email me at raykoolstra54@optusnet.com.au
    Last edited by Peter Green; 11-03-08, 03:15. Reason: changes

Harry W Green married Dorothy M Hole 1909 Waterloo NSW. Any help?

Comment

Welcome, by the way.

Comment

I've sent you a pm.

Comment

a) welcome
          b) don't know much about Australian genealogy - have a look in our Wiki to see if there's any info there
          c) may not be a good idea to post your e-mail publicly. Folk can always send you a private message where you can then pass on your e-mail to them.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell.......I've sent Peter a pm.

As he is new, he may not realize how quickly someone will pick up his request.

Comment

Little Nell:
              c) may not be a good idea to post your e-mail publicly. Folk can always send you a private message where you can then pass on your e-mail to them.
              Yes- you need to remember that anything on the General Board can get picked up by Google.

Christine

PS - Welcome!
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Peter, I've removed a couple of the names from your post in case they are still alive - our site policy is not to post details which could identify living people unless you have their permission. If they are not still living or you do have their permission then you can put the details back if you like.

And just to clarify - it is the threads in the "Genealogy General" section, which includes this Research Advice board, which get picked up by Google.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi

Just spoke with my father after a long time and yes it is Harry William Green married Dorothy Hole so any more information about that. can u tell me how i can change the forum now

thanks pete

Comment

Pete,

Can't find Dorothy's birth in Qld, NSW,Tas,WA. Vic only goes to 1888 on the CD I have.

I'd buy the marriage cert for Harry and Dorothy. Do you know how to do that online?

That will give you:
                    Age of both
                    Place of birth of both
                    Parents of both (including mother's maiden name)
                    Both fathers' occupations.

When you have that you'll know where to start looking for births. Somritmes that cert will get you back a fair way.

Comment

There's a 13-page WW1 service record in the National Archives of Australia for a Harry William Green, blacksmith, born in Birmingham, England about 1873 and married to Dorothy Mabel Green, which sounds as though it might be your man.

You can find the record here:
                      RecordSearch - National Archives of Australia
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-03-08, 08:10.

Comment

A Victor Noel Green, son of Harry William and Dorothy Green, died in Sutherland NSW in 1966.

NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages - Historical Index Search

There's a WWII service record online at the NAA site I linked to above for a Victor Noel Green born in 1918, but his mother's name is given as Alice Terry.

He's presumably related to your Harry, because an Alice Hole married a Roland Terry in 1919. Alice and Dorothy may have been sisters, but I can't see their births in the NSW births index (which goes up to 1907).

Just had a quick look at the service record - he originally put "Harry William Green, eldest brother" as his next of kin, but it's crossed out and replaced by "Alice Harriet Terry, mother".

I can't make any sense out of that relationship. He was born before Alice married Roland Terry - I wonder if Harry and Dorothy adopted him?
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-03-08, 12:49.

Comment

Found on FreeBMD:

Births Sep 1872
                          Green Harry William Birmingham 6d 163

FreeBMD - Search

Comment

Peter........I've checked the census for Harry and Dorothy in UK. There are a few Harrys, less Dorothys, but still you don't have enough info to be sure.

Have a look at the WW1 record, but as he was married it will probably only have his wife's name, which you already have. That marriage cert could be well worth the money. It should get them both back to where we can find them in UK.

Comment

Mary..............there's actually a few in the 1881 born Birmingham. I haven't checked them through to 1901.

PS Mary.......We are going to Tenterfield either Easter or the week after if you want anything.

Comment

Oh, thanks Libby - it's very kind of you to remember me. I've just got in contact with 10 (!) new second cousins, one of whom is going up to Emmaville next week, and she'll probably be getting in touch with some more relatives there. I think I have all the burials I need in Tenterfield, but I'll check. Are you likely to be going anywhere else too?

Comment

Mary..............there's actually a few in the 1881 born Birmingham. I haven't checked them through to 1901.
                                  I haven't looked at the censuses yet - I got the approximate birth date from his service record.

I agree that Peter needs to get the marriage cert to get the age and parents' names, though, and Victor's death cert would probably be interesting, too.

Comment

You'll find Victor's marriage on the NSW BDM site I linked to above. I won't post it on here, because his wife may still be alive.

Alice's death is there too.
                                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-03-08, 08:12.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that I've found Alice and Dorothy. You still need Dorothy's marriage cert to be sure we have the right person, but I've found them on the 1891 census as sisters, and the parents' names match Dorothy's death entry in the NSW BDM index (she died in Murrurundi in 1921).

Here are their births:

Births Jun 1882
                                      Hole Alice Harriet, Farnham 2a 97

Births Sep 1888
                                      HOLE Dorothy Mabel, Chertsey 2a 49
                                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-03-08, 12:51.

Comment

Well done, Mary.

Comment

Working...
                                        X