Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with the story of Joseph and Gladys please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with the story of Joseph and Gladys please?

I need somebody with access to 1901 census please.
    George William SMith b 1841 Northfleet living at Sutton at Hone on 1901 census.
    There are 2 grandchildren present and I was trying to establish the parent hood of these 2. I know who ALice belongs to. Her father is Albert James Smith who is working away as it seems her mother died either during or just after childbirth. Her death is registered the same quarter as Alice's birth.
    Cant work out who Joseph belongs to unless he is an illegitimate child of ELizabeth.
    So I had been scouring the baptism records but couldnt find one for Joseph. Thought I would try a different approach and see if I could find his marriage and see what he put for his father. Now while searching but not finding I came across another little gem
    Bearing in mind that I thought Elizabeth Smith could be Joseph's mother. Elizabeth married Robert Dixon.I am in touch with there grandson who is now 81 and knows nothing about his grandmother other than she had a complete breakdown at an early age and spent the rest of her days in an institution.

Gladys Mary Smith Dixon married 1924 aged 25 father Robert Dixon witness Joseph (R) Dixon Not sure if the R is correct but thats what the signature looks like.

Looked on freebmd and cant see a birth for a Gladys Dixon but many Gladys Smith round the right area and time scale and too many Joseph Smith's to be sure which one he would be.
    So is Gladys on 1901 census?
    or can anybody see the light?

Oh yes I also found Joseph Dixon's marriage which states father as Robert Dixon

is Gladys like to be in Sutton at Hone?
    Jess

Comment

Found this lot living in Gravesend Kent.

Robert Dixon aged 39 Head. (Durham)

Mary Dixon aged 39 Wife. (Durham)

Elizabeth Dixon aged 10 Daug. (Northumberland)

Joseph R Dixon aged 6 Son. (Northumberland)

Gladys M Dixon aged 2 Daug. (Northumberland)

Rosa Dixon aged 1 Neice. (Durham)

Class: RG13; Piece: 712; Folio: 131; Page: 23.
      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Thank you. That looks like them So dont think they have anything to do with my lot of Smith's then. Strange how Gladys had Smith as a middle name Thought that maybe Joseph and Gladys were both born Smith and changed their names to Dixon.
        Back to the drawing board....

Comment

The Gladys I found only had Gladys M Dixon on the census.... I figured that with the Robert (Father) and Joseph R (brother) it must be her.

I looked for Robert and Mary in 1891 too and found them living with Elizabeth aged 3mths in Northumberland.

Oh I did find a Robert and Elizabeth Dixon living in Dartford, Kent. he is 21 and she is 23 but no children with them.
          Elizabeth was born in Sutton at Hone
          Last edited by BigShaz McCreadie; 09-03-08, 07:50. Reason: forgot bit
          With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

If you're looking for records in the Medway area, have you looked at:
            Cityark - Home (following the Parish Registers Online link in the left menu)

You have to trawl through numbered lists of images, but those images are of the original parish registers. It's a fantastic resource, but you need to make a note of which images you've looked at and what the date boundaries were so that you don't waste time looking at the same one twice, or looking at consecutive ones, when it should be clear you need to jump a few.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thats what i have been doing Christine. Amazing what you find on their site. Thats when I hit upon a marriage for Glady Mary Smith Dixon who's father is Robert Dixon . Which made me think that she had something to do with the marriage of Robert Dixon and Elizabeth Smith but alas I am barking up the wrong tree. lol

Comment

Foiled! :(

Still - I quite enjoy looking through those images, and am pleased to find an excuse to do so from time to time.

In case it's useful to anyone, I have kept my lists of the images I've looked at, noted in Excel (by Church, BMD-type and date-range), so that might spare someone some wasted time.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I dont suppose you have a marriage for a Harriet Smith c 1845 Northfleet or an Elsie D Smith c 1899 Swanscombe or a baptism or marriage for a Joseph Smith c 1897 same areas. Living with his grandparents in Sutton at hone on 1901 census.
                  I have done quite a bit of trawling but found nothing for either of these ones yet. But I wont give up.lol

Comment

Working...
                  X