Birth cert query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth cert query

I have today received a birth cert for the sister of my 2 x great grandad. I sent for hers as he was born pre 1837.

I wanted the mothers maiden name.

BUT

It says father Thomas Hallam
    mother Mary Hallam

No maiden name.

Does that mean the she was Hallam also before she married or the registrar forgot to ask her maiden name.

I have had cousins marrying before and it has always said on the birth cert so and so formerly so and so even if the surname was the same.

It might be that the registrar forgot to record (or ask for) her maiden name. Or they might have been cousins, but it should still say Hallam formerly Hallam I think.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Or, he was illegitimate and Mary invented a father with the same surname for respectability?

Comment

No Nell

It is a birth cert for Hannah Hallam

father Thomas Hallam

mother Mary Hallam

registered by the father

Comment

Sorry, you did say it was the sister as the chap who is your direct relly was born pre-civil reg.

Whereabouts was this?

Comment

Hi Margaret,
            Had you thought that they may not have been directly related. Rather that there were many Hallams living in a small isolated community. I had a case of a 4xg/gdad George Edmondson in a small village in Cumberland, who gave is father as William Edmondson on his marr/cert. His mother was Rosannah Edmondson on his records (no father). But William was already married to Mary who was an Edmondson in her own right!!!. when George was born. I'm not saying that W + R were not istant cousins, but strange things happen in small places!!
            Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

It was just a plot hatched up all those years ago to make you get yet another birth cert to see if the maiden name is on that one :p

I have cousin marriages too and it always says (in my case) Mother - Mary Coleman formerly Coleman.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                Sorry, you did say it was the sister as the chap who is your direct relly was born pre-civil reg.

Whereabouts was this?

Newark reg dis.

Notts

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeman View Post
                  Hi Margaret,
                  Had you thought that they may not have been directly related. Rather that there were many Hallams living in a small isolated community. I had a case of a 4xg/gdad George Edmondson in a small village in Cumberland, who gave is father as William Edmondson on his marr/cert. His mother was Rosannah Edmondson on his records (no father). But William was already married to Mary who was an Edmondson in her own right!!!. when George was born. I'm not saying that W + R were not istant cousins, but strange things happen in small places!!

Sorry Pipeman

It may be the time of night or one too many glasses of wine but you have lost me

Comment

Margaret,

can you post his name please and his DOB, I can check and see if I can find something
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                      It was just a plot hatched up all those years ago to make you get yet another birth cert to see if the maiden name is on that one :p

I have cousin marriages too and it always says (in my case) Mother - Mary Coleman formerly Coleman.

Anne
                      Hi Anne

Yes I have cousin marraiges too and it does say the formerly name even if it is the same.

There is another younger sister (another birth cert)but there are three Mary Hallam's born Newark area for the same time frame.

Think I may have to write to Newark local register office and state that I want Mary Hallam born 1842/43 with parents Thomas and Mary who lived in Kilvington.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        Margaret,

can you post his name please and his DOB, I can check and see if I can find something

Julie

My 2 x great grandad was Thomas Hallam born 1832 Kilvington, Notts. Parents Thomas & Mary.

Younger siblings are Elizabeth 1835 - 1885
                        James about 1837
                        Hannah 18 Dec 1840
                        Mary about 1842/3

All born Kilvington

Comment

Thomas was bapt 31 dec 1832 at kilvington, parents thomas and mary. dads occ was labourer....
                          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                            Thomas was bapt 31 dec 1832 at kilvington, parents thomas and mary. dads occ was labourer....

Yes Julie I know that.

I am trying to find his mothers maiden name

Comment

Sorry Julie that sounded a bit abrupt.

It wasn't meant to be

Comment

William bapt 01 july 1830 same parents... and occ kilvington as well.
                                Elizabeth bapt 27 jan 1835 same parents occ, at kilvington

no sign of the others though.
                                Julie

Comment

s'ok none taken..

sometimes the MMN is given but not in this case, sorry.
                                  Julie

Comment

Hi Julie

I have the others.

We did the parish registers years ago at Nottingham library.

They seem to come under Staunton in the Vale.

Perhaps the two churches were intermingled

"cant think of a better word at the moment"

Comment

LOL I know what you mean Margaret,

merged perhaps?

this has been transcribed though as Kilvington parish, but havent a clue where it belonged to, (I know you have said newark, so know that much now)...

have you found a marriage? for the parents? do you know where mary came from? was that Kilvington as well?
                                      Julie

Comment

Hi Julie

No I havent found a marriage. That is where I am struggling.

Thomas Hallam was born about 1806 in Kilvington.

Mary was born about 1801 in Hoveringham, Notts

Their first child, that I have found was Richard born in 1828 in Kilvington.

I thought that sending for the birth cert of the first child born after 1837 would solve my problem but its just got worse.

Comment

Working...
                                        X