Lamberhurst/Brenchly Area Kent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamberhurst/Brenchly Area Kent

I am researching my mothers family , Baldock, and have got back to John Baldock 1744 but cannot find who his father was , can anyone help?

You need to check his baptism in the parish registers, I guess.

If you are going on the submitted entries on IGI beware. Anything that says "about" rather than giving a date, is a guess, not an actual reference to a specific record. Also "of Lamberhurst" doesn't mean he was born there. In marriages it just means he was living in the parish of Lamberhurst (or says he was) when the banns were called.

You say you don't know his father - but do you have his mother?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

These are batch numbers for Lamberhurst:
      Lamberhurst
      C131531 1563-1844 E131531
      M131531 1564-1837
      M131532 1813-1842

But although C131531 is baptisms and the dates should cover your chap, he isn't listed.

Comment

He isn't listed in marriages and neither is Sarah Spice, his supposed spouse on IGI submitted entry.

Comment

I've had a look on the CD-Roms I have from Kent Family History Society covering parishes around that area. All I can come up with for the name JOHN BALDOCK is the following:

8th Nov. 1676 JOHN son of JAMES and ELLEN BALDOCK was baptised at Biddenden.

Biddenden is in the same part of Kent as Lamberhurst and Brenchley.This might turn out to be the same family as your John but, of course, it is much too early for it to be him.

Unfortunately the Kent FHS haven't transcribed the parish records for either Lamberhurst or Brenchley onto CD-Roms. If you are anywhere near Maidstone, you could contact the Centre for Kentish Studies who probably hold the registers for those parishes.

There is a record on the IGI of the marriage of John Baldock and Sarah Spice at Brenchley 13th Oct 1773. It has a batch number (M130942) so you can be reasonably sure it has been taken from the parish records instead of being a guess. Not so the entry for John's birth in c1744. There is no batch number and it looks to me as though they have estimated his birthdate by working back from his marriage date. However, the fact that it says he was from Lamberhurst makes me wonder if it does say that in the marriage record in Brenchley's PRs.Otherwise how would the submitter have known? I don't think they would have guessed so specifically. You really do need to check the parish records for Lamberhurst to find what you are looking for.

By the way, I have Spice ancestors, possibly from the Hawkhurst and Cranbrook area so we may be connected!

Ann
          ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
          Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

I,m sorry i haven.t been able to answer your replies as i could not for some reason get through to this forum yesterday, however thank you all for replying,and i do understand that some of the records on the IGI are pure guesswork ,so i will as you all suggest try and and get access to the Lamberhurst records,
            Ann ,do you think that the Sarah spice is part of the same family, if so i would like to hear from you again
            Last edited by St Demon 4; 10-03-08, 11:28. Reason: incorrect spelling of for

Comment

Ann
              I have Sarah Spice circa 1749 born Charing in kent, her Father was John Spice 1721 Married to Mary Nicholls 1724 and his Father was James Spice 1692 born Charing and Married to Catherine Christmes 1692 ,do these ring a bell?

Comment

Christmas Spice , how lovely!

Comment

Originally posted by St Demon 4 View Post
                  Ann
                  I have Sarah Spice circa 1749 born Charing in kent, her Father was John Spice 1721 Married to Mary Nicholls 1724 and his Father was James Spice 1692 born Charing and Married to Catherine Christmes 1692 ,do these ring a bell?
                  I've sent you a PM.

Ann
                  ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Ann
                    Thank you for replying,have read you PM and will now look to the Kent History Society.

Comment

Working...
                    X