• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Walter Winter 1901 census lookup please

Hi
    Help ...Looking for Charles Walter Winter in 1901
    ( born 1889 aston)

jebbo

Jebbett, Jebson, Goodman, White, Brown, Savory, Salisbury, Wheway, Hastings,
    Lenton, Perkins, Croshaw, Mallabone, Downey, Ring, Bergen, McConkey, Murphy.
    ( avatar Mum and Dad )

Jebbo....do you have the parents names?

There's none born Aston, but one living in Aston born Birmingham.

Parents are John and Charlotte, but it is the same family in 1891.

Comment

I found one Charles Winter b1889 Birmingham living in Aston with parents John and Charlotte - is this the right one ? You could send me a pm for further details.

Diane
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi Harrys Mum and Dicole
        Only have Charles birth date 1889 to go on , no parents names
        he married in 1910 foleshill

appreciate our help
        Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Jebbo...............how did you get his name? Have you got his marriage cert?

That will give you his father's name, hopefully.

Comment

There is a marriage for a John Winter in Birmingham 1876, but no wife. Oldest child I can find was born about 1876/7. Can't find anything for John that is obvious before 1881. I think you need at least the marriage cert.

Nothing on Charles' death cert??

Comment

Hi Harrys mum
              Charles Joseph Winter born 1911 foleshill father was Charles Walter Winter
              Charles Walter Winter married in 1910 born 1889 but no fathers name

Okay thanks , will see if I can find anything for john & Charlotte on 1881 census

Jebbo
              Last edited by jebbo; 08-03-08, 04:40.

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

So if there's no father mentioned on marriage cert, that probably means he'd died.

The one Diane and I found is living in Aston ,but certainly not enough proof to claim him.

Do you have any other certs to see if there are family names?

Clutching at straws here.

Comment

OK....................major problem!!!!!

Charles Winter born Aston district 1889 is NOT Charles Walter Winter.

Charles Walter Winter born Q1 1889 Marylebone.

So somewhere you have to work out whether your name or place is the correct one. If you have the full name from a cert then that would be correct.

Comment

no sadly thats all I have to go on

thanks for you help

Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

There's a few possibles in the 1891 and 1901 census. I don't know London well enough to tell.

If you are certain his middle name is Walter, buy the cert for the Q1. That will give you father's name and mother's maiden name.

Comment

Sorry, Jebbo.. where did you get the middle name Walter?

Comment

Charles Walter Winter ( came from his son Charles Joseph Winter 1911 birth cert)

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

OK.....then I'd go with the one born Marylebone...............unless you want to buy both birth certs and see. But I can't see there being two in the same year. If you don't have anything further back go with the Marylebone one and ditch the Aston one.

Comment

okay thanks

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

HI Jebbo

Just as families go is it possible that the man your looking for was unsure how old he was? I am asking as there is a Charles Walter Winter born last 1/4 of 1884 in Ashby de la Zouch.

Now in the 1901 census he is with his parents Josiah/Joseph Winter and mum Ann and shown as being born in Appleby, Leicestershire

I can post details if you want them. But I'll leave it with you to ponder it.
                                WendyP

Comment

Wendy...is that closer to Astin? I don't know the area at all.

You could be right with the age. I can't work out where Jebbo got both the date and place. There is definitely a Charles Winter born 1889 Birmingham living in Astin, but I cannot find his middle name anywhere. The index has him born Astin district. Trawling turned up the Marylebone one, with the middle name Walter.
                                  And yours has a Joseph, so could be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                                    So if there's no father mentioned on marriage cert, that probably means he'd died.

The one Diane and I found is living in Aston ,but certainly not enough proof to claim him.

Do you have any other certs to see if there are family names?

Clutching at straws here.
                                    I thought that no father's name on marriage cert usually meant that father's name was unknown - i.e. illegitimacy.

I know that's not an absolute, but I have more than one cert (incl. my parents') where the father's name is given, along with "dec'd". Sometimes the father is dead, but the "dec'd" bit gets missed out, even where the name is given - presumably no-one had actually asked if the father(s) were still alive.

There's an active thread here where what must be almost a unique cert is shown where both mothers' names are given, because both were illegitimate.

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The marriage registers for Foleshill are at Warwick RO. I know because I was there recently and got a digital photo of my parents' register entry - all filled out by my late father because he was the curate there at the time. :D

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                        I i.

There's an active thread here where what must be almost a unique cert is shown where both mothers' names are given, because both were illegitimate.

Christine
                                        I have a marriage like this. Both were illegitimate and their mothers signed the cert, I was amazed to see it.
                                        Pam

Comment

Working...
                                        X