No announcement yet.

The (British) Indian Army circa 1930's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The (British) Indian Army circa 1930's.

My Dad joined the army in the 1930's (date unknown) and I assumed he joined the Cambs/Suffolk Regiment as he lived on the boarder of Cambs/Suffolk.

I have now been informed by an elderly relative that he joined the Indian Army (in this country). I do know he didn't get on very well and his sister brought him out.

Where do I go/who do I contact to get information of Regiment, joining/leaving date and perhaps his records? He didn't serve in WWII as he was in a protected occupation.

Any help would be gladly received as I have no idea where to start.

Viv
    ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Didn't want to look and not post :o

When my dad joined up... strangely enough he joined in Glasgow but didn't join any of the Scottish regiments He joined the Royal Pioneer Corp and his basic training was done in Northampton (where I now live ) even though he'd never heard of Northampton in his life until he came here for basic training.

Mind you this was in 1964
    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

The National Archives at Kew hold some copies of The East India Register and Army List from 1844 to 1860 and The Indian Army List of 1901, 1902 and 1905 to 1939. These are available in the Library and Resource Centre. These armies consisted of British regiments.
      Also try this site
      India Office Records
      it is the British Library in London and I am sure they hold records there as my cousin looked into it a while back.
      GWEN

Comment

I can see that info on here may be useful to me in picking up info about a maternal great uncle who served with the Indian Army in the 1930s.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you girls, I'm off to the British Library next week to look at electoral rolls so I'll see what I can find re: Indian Army.
          I'll let you know the result Christine.
          Viv
          ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Comment

Thanks, Viv.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X