arghhhh help!! gedcoms/family tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arghhhh help!! gedcoms/family tree

OH does maintenance on our comp each week and was doing it yesterday while I was out. There was a problem and he had to delete everything. I know I can retrieve my FTM details from beginning of Feb as I sent it to an e-mail addy in the form of a gedcom but i have added stuff since then. I know I have uploaded a gedcom onto GR more recent than that but I cant see where the date of that upload is. When I click on my tree it says Dec 07 but Iknow I Have done one more recent than that so how can I find the date of my last uploaded gedcom on GR?

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
    OH does maintenance on our comp each week and was doing it yesterday while I was out. There was a problem and he had to delete everything. I know I can retrieve my FTM details from beginning of Feb as I sent it to an e-mail addy in the form of a gedcom but i have added stuff since then. I know I have uploaded a gedcom onto GR more recent than that but I cant see where the date of that upload is. When I click on my tree it says Dec 07 but Iknow I Have done one more recent than that so how can I find the date of my last uploaded gedcom on GR?
    You shouldn't have to delete everything even if there is a problem.

Anyway back up all your stuff onto CD/stick or something so that when OH decides to delete everything again you have it.

I assume your tree on GR will be the last one so if you did try to upload one I don't think it worked.

I think when you upload to GR it overwrites the one you have. I stand to be corrected because I don't use GR that much.
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 07-03-08, 09:02. Reason: removed unnecessary comment

Comment

Oh, Gloryer, how awful. I know this is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, but do keep backups of your tree in future in case this kind of thing happens again. I find it hard to believe that your OH really had to delete everything even your data, but it's too late to argue about that anyway.

As for the GR tree, when you say it gives a date of Dec 2007, do you mean like this?

Family Tree Changes
      Index
      Version number Release date
      Version 14 03/12/2007
      Version 13 05/08/2007

That's just the date that they last updated their family tree software, and nothing to do with when you uploaded a GEDCOM. Hopefully somebody else can tell you how to find out when you uploaded one - I don't think I will be able to check for that because I've never uploaded one.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It looks from the FAQ section on GR as though you should have received an email to confirm that your GEDCOM was uploaded, but if you don't have that then try contacting the GR support team to ask if they can tell you the last upload date.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post

As for the GR tree, when you say it gives a date of Dec 2007, do you mean like this?

Family Tree Changes
          Index
          Version number Release date
          Version 14 03/12/2007
          Version 13 05/08/2007

Yes that is what I meant. I am in 2 minds which way to restore it is the best. With the ged.com I mailed to myself it will have all the source data. ie the info collected from census etc. but with the GR tree I dont think that is on there.

OH just loves to wipe the machine and reloads windows whenever we get a problem. As I was at work all day yesterday I didnt get a chance to intervene. He said it all locked up and he had no choice!!

Comment

Can you download the one from GR then merge it with you other one to gat all the information together.

Have you booked your holidays yet ?
            Why not come to Norfolk we have some great churches for you to photograph

Shake my family tree and watch the nuts fall.

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Regional Co ordinator Eastern Region

Comment

I dont know if I can merge the 2. I have never downloaded the tree from GR before. Anyway I decided to go with the one that I mailed to myself as that has the most amount of details. Just been browsing the one on GR to recover any additional names. I am annoyed with myself as I spent ages trawling through parish records. I know I found a 2nd marriage for one of my SMiths but cant remember the brides name....... Just trying to find that info again. I was in the middle of printing out some stuff that I had saved so it couldnt happen at a worse time.

Comment

Working...
              X