Help needed to identify families in a coat of arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to identify families in a coat of arms

Following on from Grandpa Jim's thread I would very much like some help in identifying the families that make up the below coat of arms - I do know that the 3 norman pics are from my mother's father's family - Pigott but everything else is a mystery.

All ideas, suggestions welcomed. Have to go off line for a while back later.

Many thanks
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

This might help Bo

Heraldry on the Internet, Coats of Arms, Family Crests
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Bo,

I don't know if this helps, but these are my amateur attempts at describing the arms in heraldspeak (officially called blazon). A bit of a minefield into which only fools rush, but perhaps anyone who spots errors would be kind enough to point them out. I thought you might find them useful in your search.

You will have realised that you have two quartered arms which have been quartered again, but I am listing just the first two rows going right across. They are repeated in the third and fourth rows.

1. Per fess or and sable, three picks 2 and 1 counterchanged.
      (that one is Pigot as you know)

2. Per fess azure and argent, three (pelicans? storks? Herons?) 2 and 1 counterchanged.

3. Sable a chief and a lion rampant or.

4. Sable a fess between 3 (horses?) argent

5. Gules 3 demi-lions rampant couped or.

6. Sable on a cross or nine fusils of the field.
      (there might be a special name for black fusils, but I don't know it)

7. as 6.

8. as 3.

I found an early version of the Pigott arms in a book. The shield is all sable (black) with the picks in argent (silver or white).

Good luck with your search

Roger

Comment

The Hants Record Office has an extensive archive of Pigott family documents and the index can be searched at CALM Database

A search on the name Pigott finds 173 references. Alternatively search on Finding No. 39M90/3 for the main list of family documents, and Finding No. 39M90/3/9 for the Pigott genealogical and heraldic items.

Comment

Roger - Many thanks for the interpretation I didn't have a clue except I knew I had some lions standing up! It gives me a really good base to go forward with.

Hughar - Many thanks Hants records office is on my list of things to do as I know that they have a lot of records which will hopefully fill in some gaps but probably not the one a really want plugged which is my great mother. There is another set of Pigott records which are not in the main Pigott bundle but in the Sherfield on Lodden incumbent set where there was an argument over my 3xG Uncles funeral - "he was hurried into the grave" and the vicar took the deceased son to court for "obstructing a burial service".
          Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
          X