Questions about unclaimed money......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about unclaimed money......

In the London Gazette Supplements I have seen some entries between 1871 and 1899 regarding a trust held for a deceased person. The trust seems to have been set up in 1851 and the last entry (a payment out) was in June 1857.

For each issue of the Gazette supplement, at the beginning of the very long list of names it says (this is the 1887 version):

The entries I've been looking at are relating to the First catagory (above) - The Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice.

Then I looked at Google book search and found an entry for the same trust in a book called "The Weekly Notes" by the Incorporated Council of Law Reporting for England and Wales Published for 1952.

Q's

Why were the authorities still reporting an inactive trust over 90 years after it had last been active?

What does the The Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice actually deal with?

What might have happened to the money now? (I realise from The Gazette page above it's unlikely to be much!!)?

What's the chances of finding out ANYTHING regarding the parties involved? The name is unique but seems to be non-existant in all genealogical online sources!!

Sorry, but I can't give the exact details right now, though I may be able to later on (sorry to be cryptic!)

Merry

Just some general thoughts - Chancery has a duty to go on reporting inactive trusts for ever, I expect, unless there has been a subsequent Act of Parliament disallowing this.

As to what has physically happened to the money - it will be long gone but invested no doubt in an insurance scheme which will pay out in the unlikely event of anyone appearing to make a claim. The surpluis would go to the Crown.

OC

Comment

Presumably had I been around in 1952 and seen the entry in "The Weekly Notes" I would have been able to find out something by applying to the relevant court? So I wonder if they records still survive, or would they have been destroyed after 100 years, or some such?

It's not the money, it's the name of the dec'd person which is of vital interest!!

Comment

Well it can't hurt to get in touch with them.

I expect they work at a majestic pace like all the other courts, so get your claim in now while you can still see to read and write pmsl.

OC

Comment

pmsl!!

It's not my relative, but might be someone else on FTF who will (or won't!) be "in the money"!!!

I shall send them a pm now.......

Comment

Heather made a similar claim recently, didn't she? She may have some more up-to-date info.

Comment

Merry, can you tell us if you've already sent the PM, so we can stop watching our inboxes, please?!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

lolol Kite!!

You can stop checking your inboxes now! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  Heather made a similar claim recently, didn't she? She may have some more up-to-date info.

Heather PT? She will have to cancel her trip to Somerset in order to answer my Qs! Thanks for the tip though......

Comment

I don't know whether you still can, but you used to be able to go to the High Court and "bespeak" a court file - which basically meant filling in some forms and waiting while the file was found from somewhere in the bowels of the building and brought to you to read - although some had to be ordered up from Tunbridge Wells, I think it was !
                    And whether they still have files of that age, I don't know
                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Where do you find the London Gazette (or the supplements)?

Comment

Libby - The Gazette records are here:

Home

Muggins Joan - that sounds interesting!!

The potentially wealthy member of this site can be unveiled.......

*rolls drums*

It's Libby (Harrys mum)

I think (and it has to be said, it's a complete hunch!!) this might possibly be Agatha Ariel/Clark, who I'm sure you all know!!:

Comment

So, I'm sure Libby will be happy to offer a major prize for whoever discovers that Agatha Giacobbi is her Agatha Ariel!!! lololol :D

Comment

After all this time, anyone who finds Agatha can have the money (within reason LOL).

I just want the body!!!!!!

Now off to find Miss/Mrs/Ms Giacobbi.

Comment

Well done, Merry, how did you find her?

Comment

I don't know it's her, of course, but I just stuck the name Agatha Clark in the Gazette search and noticed this one. I just have a funny feeling about it!!

It ticks these boxes:

Right name!

Libby's Agatha may have gone abroad if she didn't change her first name, as we can't see her in the UK after her divorce.

There's no death for anyone called Giacobbi in the UK

Her family were well off enough for her to be the beneficiary of a trust.

Comment

It does look promising.

There are a couple of teeny snippets on Google book search, but they probably only contain the same information as the Gazette:

agatha clark giacobbi - Google Book Search

Comment

Don't know the rules, but would the money have become Bona Vacantia after all this time?
                                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

PS If by any chance it is still held by the court, I think it would be in the Court Funds Office
                                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                                        Don't know the rules, but would the money have become Bona Vacantia after all this time?
                                        Spoilsport :D:D I think there's a good chance you're right.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X