Carpenters Row West Kirby Hekp please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpenters Row West Kirby Hekp please

Hi --I have just got a GRO certificate of my OH side of the tree, and it states that the sub- district was Woodchurch County of Chester Registration District Wirral ,Margaret Monday died in Carpenters Row West Kirby in October 1886 I can not find Carpenters Row anywhere. George her husband was a Pawnbroker so the cert: tells us.After 3 day of being ill she died of Pneumonia .How can I find the address please and was it a bad winter that year ???as Margaret was only 25 years???? Sorry it is a lot to ask,:o
    Sheila walking cat.gif
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Sheila...............there is a Carpenters Lane in West Kirby, that is on google. Possibly same place. Or it could have just been a row of houses.

October wouldn't be winter, and many more people died of pneumonia because there weren't any anti-biotics.
    Also lots of chest type illnesses would have been put down to pneumonia.

Were the family at that address in 1881?

Comment

Opss!!!! Please excuse my spelling, Libby, Hi ,George and Margaret did not get married until the 8th Sept 1882 But George lived according to the 1881 census at 164 Great Howard Street Liverpool showing his occupation as Pawnbrokers Assistant. On Margaret's death cert: he was a Pawnbrker
      Sheila

Comment

good morning sheila...i have to go to West Kirby in the next couple of weeks to a very well known bookshop called "Linghams" .if you google linghams i`m sure you`ll find their site,and ask someone there about carpenters row. they deal in books about `the wirral`..and they are very helpful...if you get no joy, contact the cheshire historical society.;..have you tried the cprdb site on
        CPRdb - Version v3.3 - 7 March 2005 for margarets marriage and babtism details?...regards...allan
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi I've had a quick look on Old maps and the Carpenters Lane in West Kirby was called that in 1891 but the 1881 map doesn't have a name on the road.
          (There is a Carpenters Row in Birkenhead)

I haven't got ancestry but perhaps someone who has could see if there is a carpenters row on the 1881??

Teresa

Comment

Regarding cause of death, pneumonia is a common cause of death and often follows another illness, when the patient is already weakened.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Good Morning , Thank you for the infomation. that will help .I'll away and see what I can find
              Sheila

Comment

Morning Sheila,
                I live about 5 mins drive away - will have a look on Carpenter's Lane tonight see if I can spot anything, might also be worth dropping into local library - will have a look there over the weekend

update - West Kirby library don't have any old refs to Carpenter's Row but local historian is working Mon and Tues in library - so if there is no progress by then will ring and speak to her.

more update Birkenhead reference library has a West Kirby map from 1870 so I will go at the weekend and see if I can find it.

1881 - there was a Carpenter's Row in Birkenhead- but this is not the place
                Last edited by Lovettpod; 07-03-08, 21:28.
                ;) Helen x

Comment

Thanks Helen, on Margaret's death Cert : is Cartenpers Row West Kirby,,, thank for looking
                  Sheila

Comment

Hi Sheila,
                    had a look on 1870 map - no sign
                    looked at trade / street directories 1870 - 1890 no mention of Carpenter's Row, but Carpenter's Lane does not appear until 1889.
                    Looked at Carpenter's Lane itself, there is nothing to indicate that anypart was called Row previously - there were 2 older looking sandstone cottages, all other houses were rather grand hugely proportioned houses, but they were called individual names rather than numbers like the rest of the Lane....so possibly?
                    I will ring the local historian on Monday and ask her. Not much further sorry!
                    ;) Helen x

Comment

Sorry Sheila - no joy with local history buff at West Kirby library, got a couple of numbers of other local people to try - will do tomorrow, but not holding out much hope:(
                      ;) Helen x

Comment

Thank you for the trouble you have taken it was worth a try
                        Regards
                        Sheila

Comment

Working...
                        X