One name study advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One name study advice please

Hi i am looking for a bit of advice please.
    I did a tree for a friends mum and gave it to her today and she asked me about a one name study.
    She has music sheets from a famous composer called John Hatton who is from Liverpool and has asked me to do all the Hattons.
    I have advised her that with what time i have to spare it could take years which she is fine with as she isn't intending to go anywhere (i know it will take longer than a few years but just to get the ball rolling properly)
    I am a little confused because her family came from Gloucestershire and there are a few from Liverpool so am i best to concentrate on Gloucestershire or Lancashire to cover Liverpool or just do all the areas?
    I am really stuck as to where to start from so any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

also i have told her that it wont be proven it will be what can be found on the internet if she wants it proven she would have to travel to the relevant places or buy all of the certs.
    Last edited by jennie; 05-03-08, 19:34.
    Jen

Jennie

If you search the gedcom under the surname Hatton there are quite a few listed there.

Comment

I have just had a look on Ancestry and to be honest it will be a life time job getting all the information on Hatton, in 1901 there are 6,971. think you need to scale it down big time.

Comment

I would say you would have your work cut out with a name like Hatton. Just a quick look at the GRO index of births shows that it is quite a common name. One name studies are usually done with names that are less common and typically have only ten or so entries each quarter.

Hatton is not registered as a name with the Guild of One Name Studies - which also suggests it is a bit too frequent to get to grips with.

You could still do a study of the composer's family and extended family, though, and see where it takes you.

Anne

Comment

Thankyou Anne and Pat this is where the problem is. The musician is called John Liptrot Hatton. My friends mum has a lot of his stuff but for the life of me i cannot find the connection and neither can a lady that has been to the RO office for me. I cannot move either way with him apart from his parents and his daughter who imigrated. She said she had been talking to someone who said that a one name study might help (yeah why didn't this somebody do it lol) I said i would look into it but wasn't promising anything. If i just concerntrated on one area say Lancs would this help do you think?
          Jen

Comment

I think this would be an impossible task. Does the friend want to prove she is related?

I've collected a couple of separate trees of names in my family which are unusual and they would be very time-consuming if I did them thoroughly - I'm just making connections to my family where I can, and deleting those who turn out not to be connected.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Are you trying to find a connection between your friend's family and the composer? That could be very hard - it might just be that they were friends?

If it was me I would start with the composer and 'do' his family history just like any other, making a point of going along all the branches and twigs. That way you may come across a connection.

To be honest I think you would be wasting your time by concentrating on Lancashire when for all you know his family may have come from (with a middle name like that) from Germany.

Anne

Comment

Thankyou. They are directly connected they believe. My friend is a Hatton so it has to be quite close i would of thought especially to have the hand written music that he wrote and some letters he wrote to his wife and from his wife to him, no mention of the children though which is annoying.
                I will see what can be done with him and if i cant do anything will call it a day doing them as they have been trying lol since i have been doing the tree for them.
                Thankyou again for your advice.
                Jen

Comment

I am doing an unofficial One Name Study of Holdens.

The reason I keep it unofficial is because there are tens of thousands of Holdens and the magnitude of the task of collecting and collating ALL Holdens is mind boggling.

I started by an almost casual collection of the name as I passed them, lol, whether in census, bmd etc. and add to it as and when I feel like it. It is very time consuming, even if the info is just taken from internet sources.

As the others have suggested, I would concentrate on the family of this man to start with and gradually extend sideways - if you feel like it.

However, I doubt if your friend's mum has any idea what she is asking you to do. Perhaps she should buy a computer and do it herself?

(I have Hattons in my tree by the way, on two distinctly separate lines which haven't so far converged and I am back to the 1600s).

OC

Comment

Originally posted by jennie View Post
                    I cannot move either way with him apart from his parents and his daughter who imigrated.

I think a one named study on such a common name would take several lifetimes!

What about looking at descendants of his siblings? There's one certain and several likely ones on the IGI.

Comment

Are you saying that if a name is not on the "One Name " list that it would be reasonable to start one because there are less of them. I once followed the wrong line by mistake and after I had got back to the mid 16s I found I had gone wrong at the 1891 census. But by which time I had Edmondsons coming out of the woodwork on GR, but all the wrong ones. Now I have been stuck at my GG/Gdad 1841 for about 9 months now looking for the right one!!!. I think a 'one name study' can refer to a Christian name too!!!

By the way does anyone collect unususa surnames, I found a Constantinople the other day, hows that for a 'one name'
                      Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

Pipeman

The problem is if you want to join GOONS, you have to agree to a number of conditions, one of which is to collect EVERY bmd entry (not the certs).

I really wouldn't want to commit to this, so my study remains unofficial like many hundreds of others.

You could bung all your one name info on a Tribal Pages tree though - it's free and a handy parking place for such research.

OC

Comment

Thankyou very much. I will try and work from the gentleman i have been given. I will have to sit down with my friends mum when we can both get together and show her how to do the research as she would love to be able to do it but hasn't been shown how, then she can decide if she wants to go ahead and do it herself.
                          Thankyou again.
                          Jen

Comment

Working...
                          X