pub photo's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pub photo's?

I was speaking to my cousin the other day about places of worship,and i recommended her checking out FTF.
    Her husband then made a remark about pub's(he said he used to attend his religiously every weekend!)but then went on to say there was a lot of local history surrounding inn's down here,smuggling,etc.
    Fair point i thought.
    So what about a pub thread?
    Unfortunatly one of our oldest,the Miner's,was renovated last year,i think it's going to be flats,sad.
    "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Oh No:o
    There's more pubs than Churches :(

Have you booked your holidays yet ?
    Why not come to Norfolk we have some great churches for you to photograph

Shake my family tree and watch the nuts fall.

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Regional Co ordinator Eastern Region

Comment

And I know where most of my ancestors would have preferred to be!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by tasdev00 View Post
        Oh No:o
        There's more pubs than Churches :(
        Exactly what i thought,i wouldn't mind a trip up to one of our most famous,The Jamaica Inn,i've lived in the westcountry for 35 years and never visited it,think i'll have to take a trip with my camera.:D

Comment

Life could become one big pub crawl.:D

I tried to bribe people to take photo's of our regions churches by having a day out and a pub lunch, I don't think it would work the other way round

Have you booked your holidays yet ?
          Why not come to Norfolk we have some great churches for you to photograph

Shake my family tree and watch the nuts fall.

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Regional Co ordinator Eastern Region

Comment

wasn't it Norwich where there used to be a pub for every day of the year, and a church for every week of the year?

Thats 52 times as many pubs as churches...........
            Barbara

Comment

Perhaps we should just photograph places locally that we knew were pubs, are are about to no longer to be pubs, so they arn't totally lost.
              Mavis
              Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

One of my branches, the Common family, used to be innkeepers/publicans as well as farmers/cattle dealers, and at one time their pub was called "The House of Commons" LOL
                I am trying to find out if this is the same premises now called the Ship Inn - which is about 60 miles inland, so how did it get its name?
                Vicky

Comment

I used to travel this country alot in my camper van and kept a note book in the glove box to record Pub names and where they were. I still have it after 40 years and as you say alot will have disappeared now. Some that spring to mind are "The Post office" "The Museum" "Flying Fish" " The Cemetry" "The Flee Pit" "Flapit Inn",
                  Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

Originally posted by alanjohn View Post
                    Exactly what i thought,i wouldn't mind a trip up to one of our most famous,The Jamaica Inn,i've lived in the westcountry for 35 years and never visited it,think i'll have to take a trip with my camera.:D
                    Alan I have been there, way before they created the new road at Bolventor though, (in the days when you used to drive past it to get to Truro),
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

If the pubs thread gets the go ahead, rule No. 1 shoul be that you photograph on way IN!!!!!!

For anyone needing to know about pub names changes the thread put on (which I now think is in the WIKI) the other week is very good - I used to run pubs and even I don't know how or who to contact about previous landlords -

Comment

Not photos of pubs but I have a list of all the pubs in the Burton on Trent area (and believe me there are 100's of them) from the 1911, 1934 and 1960 Burton directories.

It also lists the name of the licensee for each one.

Comment

I don't know why pubs change their names,the Miners in Redruth,was The Coach House for a while then went back to the Miners again,i noticed today that the Collins Arms down here was established in 1743!

I remembered one of the girls i used to work with went up the Jamaica Inn a few times,she said they had a parrot in the bar,but that was about 15-20 years ago though.Don't know if she was pulling my leg!

Comment

No she wasn't pulling your leg Alan I have seen it myself xxxxx years ago mind.

I remembered one of the girls i used to work with went up the Jamaica Inn a few times,she said they had a parrot in the bar,but that was about 15-20 years ago though.Don't know if she was pulling my leg!

Comment

talking about pub name changes - very popular in the early 80's - I worked for Ind Coope as was then, and our guv'nor changed the names of quite a few large pubs,when they made them into pool halls which I think he called Hustlers many on roundabouts, can't remember the original names of most of them but Eastern National (local bus company) were less than impressed as they had used many of the pubs as landmarks and had them listed in their bus timetables, mind you many of them have all gone back to original names now - and in your own locality people still use the original names, the locals all know where they mean.............

Comment

One of our local pubs change it's name in 1982 to 'The Sheffield' to commemorate the ship of that name sunk in the Falklands.
                                HMS Sheffield was built here in Barrow. I'm far too young to remember what it was called beforehand, though.
                                Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

One of our local pubs is now called The Dolphin, after being called the Sergison Arms for over 140 years...but my 83 yr old mother inlaw remembers her granny (b1850) calling it The Dolphin - it has reverted to the name it was known by all those years ago.

Sadly, The Sussex (where my husband proposed) formerly known as The Volunteer has been demolished - Victorian pubs are often on a large site. ripe for redevelopment. A carpet shop and flats above now occupy the site.

Comment

Pubs are curious things. In Hitchin we have several pubs that have had the same name and about or 4 that change their name and image regularly, I presume in attempts to make them more popular.

Viv and I went down a street in Pancras once looking for a home formerly inhabited by a rellie of hers and there was a pub called the Queen's Head. Not unusual, I agree, but the pub sign, instead of being a portrait was a picture of a Victorian stamp with Queen Victoria's head on it.
                                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Vicky the Viking View Post
                                      One of my branches, the Common family, used to be innkeepers/publicans as well as farmers/cattle dealers, and at one time their pub was called "The House of Commons" LOL
                                      I am trying to find out if this is the same premises now called the Ship Inn - which is about 60 miles inland, so how did it get its name?
                                      OH's line has some 'victualler/cattle dealers'. Was this a common combined occupation?
                                      Rose

Comment

yes, why change the name?

We have a beautiful old timber-framed pub in Newark. It used to be called the Queen's Head. Then a new brewery took over and it is now called...
                                        The Hobgoblin (yukky, silly stupid name!!) the 'older' locals still call it the Queen's though. ;)
                                        Last edited by Rosie Knees; 08-03-08, 13:12. Reason: typo
                                        Rose

Comment

Working...
                                        X