Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions please - more than coincidence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please - more than coincidence?

William Carrick and Mary Martin had a daughter Mary born c1814, alive in 1855 according to William's information on his wife's Scottish death cert. I've never been able to find daughter Mary.

From the Buchanan Stirling registers -

From the 1841 Killearn, Stirling (not far from Buchanan) census -

I am wondering if the James Martin, 6, and the Mary McNicl (McNiel?) 4, are possibly the children in the baptism extract above, and therefore possibly William and Mary's grandchildren. There is a blank for their county of birth, and for the N.K., 5 months.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Your theory seems perfectly reasonable, given the ages of the children.

One question, which I ought to have asked on your earlier thread, why are two events three years apart recorded on the same page? Was Buchanan very, very small?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix.

I wasn't sure if I was being influenced by my desire for it to be a good possibility.

Re Buchanan - I have been trying to work out the answer to that myself. I was just on Ancestry censi looking at how many gave years of birth 1834 - 1837 born Buchanan and, with that as a guide, would have expected more. Buchanan isn't that small an area.

Update - I've just looked on the IGI too and there are plenty of baptisms in Buchanan between 1834 and 1837. i'll have to investigate further.
      Last edited by Just Gillian; 05-03-08, 15:27.
      Gillian

Comment

It looks as though these two children were baptised on the same day and this is why they appear one after the other in the register.

Although I could be totally wrong :D

If they weren't baptised then they were just entered into this register at the same time.

The handwriting appears to be the same on both entries.

**meant to add..... I agree with your theory :D**
        With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

It does look a very reasonable theory, based on what you have so far.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Shaz and Christine.

I'm just a bit dubious because of the fact that the space for county of birth is empty and "my" James Martin should really be James Martin McMillan or James Martin Carrick I would have thought.

It was sheer luck that the entries followed each other in the OPR because I'd never have come across James otherwise. I was tracking back the way from Mary McNicol's death cert.

I have seen a Larbert Stirling summary sheet written when Civil Registration began in 1855 detailing births from the previous 10 or 15 years but there's nothing on this Buchanan one to show when it was written, if not on the date marked. I agree the handwriting looks the same. The other 5 on the page are for March to July 1840.
            Gillian

Comment

HI Gillian

Hope you don't mind this is a bit off subject but connected.

I noticed that it was Balfron the children were born in. I didn't realise the area was called Buchanan. This answers one of these 'I wonder why" questions. I have the "Other Stirlingshire Parishes Burials pre 1855" book. I wondered why Balfron Kippen and Kilearn are not in it. Are they all covered by Buchanan area ? Buchanan is in the book as is Fintry which is a much smaller village then the any of the other 3 .

Jan

Comment

Hi Jan

I thought that the Balfron referred to the parish of the fathers of James Martin and Mary and had in fact put up an earlier thread asking if anyone could make anything of the word "Cure" that appears after Mary Carrick's name. Mary McNicol gives her place of birth as Buchanan not Balfron on all later censi.

My Balfron/Buchanan knowledge is still very sketchy as my other Stirling people are from other parts. I've been googling old parish maps etc since finding the above baptisms to try to get some idea.

I'm about to be on chauffeuring duty for a while but I'm very interested in what you've said re the missing parishes from your book and would like to follow up on that when I'm back later.
                Gillian

Comment

Jan - I've been having a look at the histories of the various parishes and I can't see any reason there why the parishes you named would not have been included. Baptisms are listed for the individual parishes so I can't see why burials wouldn't be.

I might ask the question re the 1834 and 1837 baptisms being on the same page in the Buchanan register on Scotfamtree.
                  Gillian

Comment

Hi Gillian

Some how I cleared off what I was writing earlier. We know that area of Scotland reasonably well as we have a static caravan near by. I can't recall seeing Buchanan on a sign post, looked up the map and noticed it was next to Drymen. This rang a bell looked at my notes and yes I was right. The son of my Mother-in-laws uncle address was in Drymen. I couldn't read some of the hand writing on uncles death certificate. Here I my note on it (- names and address of farm incase he is still there) now I know it must be Buchanan.

Buchener ? Drymen
                    not clear about son’s address but it is Drymen*
                    reg on 9/4/1976
                    registar name unclear
                    I did look at the Central Scotland Family History Society site and they don't seem to have transcribed the burials for Balfron Kippen and Kilearn. I should have realised earlier as I also have a Dennyloanhead book which was not included in the Other Stirlingshire Parishes.

Must have a look at Scotfamtree don't think I've seen it before.

Next time we're out for a run I must have a look for Buchanan. Might even visit the grave yard.

Jan

Comment

Hi Jan

This is the link for scotfamtree:

SCOTLANDS FAMILY TREE(The friendly forum!) :: Home

They are a nice helpful crowd on there, but the site is more confusing to navigate than this one.

I put the Buchanan OPR image on there earlier tonight to see if anyone is familiar with the Buchanan registers.

My mother was born and raised in Clackmannanshire and so I was up in the Stirling area every summer till I was in my mid twenties. I just wish I had paid more attention to the places we drove around!
                      Unfortunately, William and Mary left no record of their marriage, or their children's baptisms, and they seem to have been born alternately in New Monkland, Lanark, and Stirling, so this Mary Carrick in Buchanan may be a wild goose chase.
                      Gillian

Comment

Hi Gillian

Went to site earlier - found I had already signed up.

I can't get the hang of their search - 'confusing to navigate' is a spot on.

Might have another look when I'm not to tired.

Comment

Working...
                        X