No announcement yet.

Can anyone work out which year this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone work out which year this is?

Court Magazine, and Monthly Critic ... - Google Book Search

extract from Google Books hit about George Dormer being shot. on page 44 in case it doesn't take you to the right page.

The book covers years 1832 to 1837 but I can't seem to find anything that tells me which year this incident was.

If I can get the year it may help me work out what or who "Whitefeet" is and why he/they/it would be trying to shoot farmers in Kilkenny.

Cheers

Zoe
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Have you got access to the TDA? You might find an article in the Times?

There's a heading 1826 on page 35...

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a hint of what the Whitefeet were about on this page (found via Google):

John Sharp c1811-1863 - Whitefoot from the Queen's County, Ireland

Christine

PS , googling
      whitefeet ireland
      finds quite a bit about both the Whotefeet and other such movements.
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-03-08, 15:01.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Times Digital ARchives
        Thursday, Jun 13, 1833; pg. 1; Issue 15190; col D
        Elaine

Comment

On the previous page there's a report of a duel which seems to be reported in The Times on Jun 18, 1833 (Duel Between The Marquis Of Dalmatia And Col.De Bricqueville).

Comment

The Times Saturday, Feb 18, 1832; pg. 4; Issue 14778; col A
            article referring to Whitefeet & Kilkenny
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post

If I can get the year it may help me work out what or who "Whitefeet" is and why he/they/it would be trying to shoot farmers in Kilkenny.

Of the 40,000 Irish convicts transported to Australia, as many as one in eight were political or social "protesters"; that is, they committed their crimes, not for personal gain, but as a public protest against the social injustices of their day. Most of the protests were about land — tenure, high rents, taxes, evictions — and despite the severe punishments imposed, persisted for centuries. The protesters were members of various "secret societies" — Whiteboys, Whitefeet, Rockites, Ribbonmen, Terry Alts, Lady Clares etc. Usually dressed in a form of uniform (white shirt, sash etc), and led by a "Captain" and band in mock military style (viz "Captain Starlight" in Australian mythology), they levelled fences, maimed cattle, burned houses, stole firearms, and left threatening letters, usually mimicking the official court language, for those who resisted their demands for the people's "justice".

A significant group during the 1830s were the Whitefeet from the Queen's County (now County Laois), large numbers of whom were transported. Typical of these was John Sharp, transported in 1834.

Source: John Sharp c1811-1863 - Whitefoot from the Queen's County, Ireland
              Elaine

Comment

Hmmmmmm.

Now I need to figure out why the Catholic Whitefeet would feel the need to shoot George dormer who was also a Catholic.

And I need to hunt out my parish transcriptions to see if I can work out who "his son" was
                Zoe in London

Comment

RootsWeb: IRL-KIL-CASTLECOMER-L [IRL-KIL-CASTLECOMER] More White feet

not my man but very intriguing.
                  Zoe in London

Comment

Working...
                  X