Parallel Universes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel Universes

Years ago, I foolishly sent a gedcom to a tree collector. (You know the sort: 300k names, very impressive online tree)

No less an authority than The Peerage.com have found an infant, who the name collector would have been told had died, and given it its cousin's life.

I used to be able to recognise my contributions because I had helpfully put "Legacy 3" as a source for all my entries. The latest update has removed all sources, so I can no longer say precisely what IS mine.

But I know what isn't. A blameless maiden aunt has been married off so she can have a child, so he can inherit from another family member. I don't even have to leave my desk to check that this is wrong, as her will, clearly describing her as a spinster, is on Documents Online.

It is like following a soap (or a bad adaptation of a novel) exploring this fantasy tree.

Trouble is, this alternative history, with so many details omitted, wrong or unexplained, is quite addictive;)
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Phoenix

This sort of stuff used to really get my goat but I have managed to chill out enough now to just read it and shout "You idiot" as I go along.

But I still twitch when I see MY notes on a similar tree, which say "I have a letter from...."

Well, the "I" in those notes is me - it is ME that has the letter, not him.

The problem is though - people see these trees and copy them in good faith and then pass them on. Eventually there are enough copies floating the internet for the "facts" to become set in stone, and you can argue till you are blue in the face that the facts are wrong and you can prove it.

OC

Comment

The most cogent reason I can think of for making ALL Historical Documents available on-line, and not just Transcriptions, so that each and every one of us can check the information we are given at Source.
      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

But that's my point, Grampa Jim. That PCC will IS available online. The correct Osman Edwards appears in the 1881 census with a birthplace of Sydney, while freebmd shows the bogus one died.

Even if everything were available online, some people prefer to be spoonfed.

OC
        I looked at the number of cousins shown and decided that I couldn't be precious about "my ancestors" - though of course those relationships could be equally bogus! But I do still hate it when a particular aspect of research that took infinite pains is carelessly displayed. There is nothing I can do about past mistakes, but these days the only way I can pass on data is via a Word document, which does at least alert me to anything I'd prefer to delete.

My only consolation is that none of the fantasy tree is attributed to me and any researcher worth their salt WILL find the truth, even if the majority prefer the fiction.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix

Yes, I agree, when the correct information IS available on line it is nothing short of insulting that these errors occur.

I suppose we "Old Time" researchers are lucky in as much as we were never exposed to all these sloppy trees (well, they didn't exist) and that our research had to be done the hard, but proper, way of consulting primary source documents. Very good training.

OC

Comment

I have heard such horror storys about GR trees that I have developed a complex!! I don't get that many enquiries to see my tree because its not that big to start with. But now when I get them I feel guilty about not opening my tree info to them, even when the enquirer seems to be normal !!!!! I had on this week from Auz! she even has a photo on her tree info. and it would be nice find a lost cousin down there, but I keep asking my self, 'is it worth it?' do I want to feed someone elses ego for collecting names.

I read somewhere on this site where the lady just revieled that generation only. It sounds ok but I'm not IT gifted enough to be able to do it. So I'll have to continue feeling guilty!!
            Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

Pipeman

I never open my tree to anyone and cannot see why anyone needs to see it.

I establish a connection first (How do you KNOW that your Agatha Skrumbukket married my Fred Bloggs? Do you have the cert or are you just fishing?).

If they pass that test, I then send one generation by email with the promise of more if they are interested. They very rarely are interested enough to contact me again, so I don't feel in the least bit guilty.

One or two do stay the course though and they get everything....eventually. There is no rush in this game.

Only ONCE has anyone challenged my info - I made a stupid typo on a date and she picked it up. We now regularly share our research and not just on our mutual relatives either. (I mean we help each other to search and we discuss the finer points of our findings).

The rest just swallow everything whole, never challenge anything, never ask questions - and never offer anything in return, either now or in the future.

I have just hotmatched on GR with a generation of ancestors which I passed to the contact two years ago. Presumably he has done no further research - they were very easy to find and so were the previous generations, but the contact appears to be satisfied with just one generation.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Pipeman

I never open my tree to anyone and cannot see why anyone needs to see it.

I establish a connection first (How do you KNOW that your Agatha Skrumbukket married my Fred Bloggs? Do you have the cert or are you just fishing?).

If they pass that test, I then send one generation by email with the promise of more if they are interested. They very rarely are interested enough to contact me again, so I don't feel in the least bit guilty.

One or two do stay the course though and they get everything....eventually. There is no rush in this game.

Only ONCE has anyone challenged my info - I made a stupid typo on a date and she picked it up. We now regularly share our research and not just on our mutual relatives either. (I mean we help each other to search and we discuss the finer points of our findings).

The rest just swallow everything whole, never challenge anything, never ask questions - and never offer anything in return, either now or in the future.

I have just hotmatched on GR with a generation of ancestors which I passed to the contact two years ago. Presumably he has done no further research - they were very easy to find and so were the previous generations, but the contact appears to be satisfied with just one generation.

OC
                This is pretty well my approach as well. Two years ago I was contacted via GR by a very distant relative and sent him a message setting out how I was descended from our mutual 6xgt grandparents and a couple of juicy snippets with source info (the Bedfordshire gaol records). I also offered more info by email if needed and gave him my email address. Since then zilch until today when he has sent an automated request to view my tree. If he's that interested why didn't he ever take me up on my offer!
                :(
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
                X