Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 4x great grandparents were brother & sister!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 4x great grandparents were brother & sister!

I currently have PRs for the parish of Goxhill in Lincolnshire & I was having a look at which families I had that came from the village, so that I could look up their records. I found that I had 2 families, the Youngs and the Wass family. The furthest back that I had got with the Wass family was Joseph c1780 and his wife Mary c 1774 Goxhill. I thought it might be worth looking to see if their marriage was on the IGI and I found that it was and that Mary was actually Mary Young. When I checked my Young family, I found that I did have a Mary Young, baptised December 1773, they were the same person!
    So Mary is my gggg grandma on my grandma's side & her brother Robert is my gggg grandfather on my grandad's side. My grandparents were cousins, I wonder if they knew, bit late to tell them now though. :D
    Lynn

Thought for a minute it was going to be something really shocking there for a minute, Lynn, but not as shocking as I thought. I think whenever you manage to get your tree back far enough that people tended to stay in the same place for generations, you will find cousin marriages.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've found members of grandma & grandad's families marrying each other before, but only indirect ancestors, this is the first time I have had direct ones intermarrying. According to FTM, this makes my granparents 4th cousins, but I had worked it out as 3rd
      Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
        Thought for a minute it was going to be something really shocking there for a minute, Lynn
        Me too!!!

Comment

No scandal in my family. :D
          Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
            No scandal in my family. :D
            You obviously haven't looked hard enough!

Comment

And me!

I was getting all cudgelled-up to say "How do you know? It is extremely unlikely this fact would be recorded, if it were true".

I have - literally - dozens of first cousin marriages in my tree. It was almost traditional in farming communities and just like the Gentry, it consolidated family wealth instead of dissipating it amongst strangers.

I have three generations of first cousin marriages in one line. Doesn't seem to have done the slightest harm - they all had huge families.

And it doesn't half save on the paper when drawing a tree, lol.

OC

Comment

It has certainly saved on research, as i already know the parents of Robert & Mary. I haven't found any first cousins marrying yet though.
                Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  You obviously haven't looked hard enough!
                  :D Good point, I do have a fair few illegitimates, but nothing worse at the moment.
                  Lynn

Comment

I have a few cousin marriages and also a set of two brothers who married two sisters and then the offspring from each union married, so they were double cousins.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Lyn...................would you like a copy of "I Am My Own Grandpa" LOL.

Comment

I don't think I'll need that Libby, but thanks for the thought.
                        I know that 4th cousins isn't a close relationship, but I was really chuffed to find the link & it was totally unexpected as well.
                        Lynn

Comment

well I just had to read the thread when I saw the title:D

Comment

I thought it would make an interesting thread title, whilst still being truthful.
                            Lynn

Comment

Haven't an awful lot of peeps viewed this thread????
                              Wonder why ..................! :D:D

Comment

lol
                                well at least I admitted to viewing it.

Comment

And there was I thinking how strange when I found (on a side shoot) 3 sons of one family marrying 3 daughters of another family... Liz
                                  Liz

Comment

People obviously thought I might have a sordid story.Thankfully for me, it wasn't :D
                                    Lynn

Comment

awww shucks!! lol...

Now, I have Wass' in my family too Lynn............... But AFAIK mine came from Kirkby/Sutton area.
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

You could have had a very interesting and different story given the title Lynn.
                                        Kit

Comment

Working...
                                        X