IGI question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI question

Yesterday, I put my gggg grandparents wedding on the anniversary thread & as I hadn't noted the source, I checked it on IGI,and it didn't name the church, just Lincoln . I wouldn't have expected them to have married in Lincoln itself & was wondering if it is possible to find out which church the marriage took place at. The batch no was I013733, but there were no source details. Does anyone know how I can find out which church it was please?
    Lynn

Sounds like it was a submitted entry rather than an extracted Entry?

Have you checked on freereg to see if its been transcribed on there yet.

Jewels

Comment

There are a lot of Lincoln marriages in the batch, so it must be taken from parish records, bishop's transcripts, banns book, licence allegations or something like that. I'm sure I should know by now what those "I" batches are but I just can't think. Possibly I for Index? I see that among the Lincoln church indexes listed on the Family History Library Catalogue is this one:

Marriage index of Lincolnshire, 1700-1753
      and there are also some others, including:
      Marriage index of Lincolnshire, non conformist marriages, 1657-1853

So it could be the entries were taken from one of those.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Jewels, I think that an I batch is not a submitted one, although I could be wrong.

Thanks Kate, I know what you mean about thinking you should know wat an I batch stands for.
        Lynn

Comment

Lyn - I've Lincolnshire marriages and baptisms that don't give a Church and they're extracted records. All from the Grantham area. I know it's no help to you but it seems as if its a local peculiarity!!

I've just had an experiment and it seems that most Lincs entries don't have a church name! The few exceptions seem to be parishes within Lincoln itself.
          Last edited by Sue from Southend; 05-03-08, 12:18. Reason: More info
          Sue

Comment

Thanks Sue, it must be a county thing then, which isn't helpful, is it? I can be fairly sure this one is not Gratham though.
            Lynn

Comment

Sorry to be argumentative, but if there are no source details then it is NOT an extracted parish record.

The batch numbers for extracted parish records begin with M for marriages. Everything else is submitted.

(C for christenings, P for mixed registers, taken from what is considered the main parish church in an area)

The rule of thumb for EXTRACTED batches beginning with M - if it doesn't name a church then it is the parish church.

The I batches were done many years ago mostly. They may be correct, they may not - they were done at the whim of the individual contributor.

OC

Comment

Oh ****, that is not the answer I wanted. I thought it must be an entry from BT's :( All I know so far is that it isn't Flixborough, as I looked in their records.
                Lynn

Comment

Well, I asked a contact who has the marriages for the areas, to see if she could confirm which church they married at, but she couldn't find it. She did find 2 of his father's marriages ( he had the same name, Richard Barley) and on marriage in 1749 between William Barley & Adah Robinson, just nothing for Richard & Adah in 1750. I wonder if Richard was the William in this case, as I wouldn't have expected to find 2 Adah Robinsons.
                  Lynn

Comment

Lynn

I expect the 1749 and 1750 marriages are only one marriage, with some clever beggar officiously "correcting" the year date to reflect the change in the calendar.

In genealogical terms the year should appear as 1749/1750 (old style 1749, new style 1750) but I never bother with this is it is so confusing - I just put the date AS FOUND.

As for not being more than one Ada Robinson - it is very possible there were ten of them in my experience with Robinsons! My Robinsons have an Amy in every branch of every generation for centuries - favourite female name.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, on my FTM, it comes out as 1749/1750, I now need to find out if anyone knows why it was assumed that the Adah who was married to richard Barley, was in fact Adah Robinson.It is all most confusing. There are loads of people researching the Barleys as they were a large family.
                      Lynn

Comment

There was a thread about how the IGI worked quite recently. Was the detailed-page link put on the Wiki?

Just found that I did remember to bookmark it, myself: Howell MIĀ  FHC -Understanding the IGI

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine
                          Lynn

Comment

Working...
                          X