X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation help please

RG12; Piece: 619; Folio 107; Page 10
    Richmond, Surrey

William J Williams - it loks like steeple keeper?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Church steeple keeper - whatever one of those did-
    Jess

Comment

I'd agree. There are quite a few sites with steeple keepers mentioned and it seems to be to do with making sure the bells are in good order.

Jackie
      Jackie

Comment

Theses Minutes might give you an idea:

Bells of Hornchurch - News

In that case, the job title seems quite descriptive: like a housekeeper, but for steeples - and especially the bells.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you everyone. I was surprised that it appeared to be a full-time job. I mean, the steeple just stays on the top of the church, earthquakes permitting, I assumed!

Still its more interesting than the general labouring jobs I guess.

Comment

I must say that I shouldn't have thought it would be a full-time job, either - unless you're talking about (a) Cathedral spire(s) - or something very high-maintenance.

Those Minutes spoke a lot about keeping pigeons out - and there could be rats and mice, too, I suppose. I believe they reckoned that we lost a bell-rope to rats, here.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And maybe squirrels?

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                And maybe squirrels?
                :(
                Please do not mention those grey ones!:(

They may be extremely clever, but they are a disaster if they discover a Des Res in your roof space!:(

Christine

Comment

Working...
                X