Ancestry Shoebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Shoebox

My Ancestry membership is due to expire. I'm going to try for a few free weeks as I'm a Maestro user but I don't know if that will mean sacrificing the chance of a discount for the year.

I have all sorts of obscure "may come in useful" census bits in my shoebox. Can someone please tell me if I will still be able to access my shoebox if I allow my membership to lapse?
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

I'm sure someone will know the answer - I had same problem last year, decided to copy everything over to PC and set up files of named BMD prints and Census and another for possible interest - not a bad idea at any time I suppose but I have to keep remembering where I'd got up to from my shoebox! in the end I signed up for another year, but would be interested to hear what does happen - I suspect we lose the lot!

Comment

Gillian,

I don't know for sure, but working on the principle that I added some stuff to my ancestry file from a PPV system (a few bits of US stuff-I only have standard UK sub) I can no longer view them on line (they went after my 14 day period!) I think it's unlikely.

I'm just grateful I printed them all.
      Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

I should be able to tell you in a few days!

My Ancestry sub expired on Sunday, although it is still working. They wont be able to get any money from me because the credit card I used last year no longer exists.

I am going to wait for the email begging me to rejoin at a hugely discounted rate! :D
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Gill and Sue. I thought it likely that I might lose access! Oh drat!

Most of my shoebox stuff is Scottish - unfortunately, without images, there is no easy way to save details such as occupations and places of birth of all members of a household as a group, or of others on same page.
          Gillian

Comment

Thanks Elaine.

Do please let us know both whether you can access your shoebox and whether they offer you the discount.
            Gillian

Comment

I´ll certainly let you know.

I don't see any reason why they would remove the data in the shoebox - but what you see in the shoe box is only a link to the relevant census page - not a copy of the image.
              Therefore - if you don't have a subscription I would think that the link to the image will not work.
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Gillian

Why not take a screen shot of the pages & save them to Word?

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                  ...... and whether they offer you the discount.
                  Vivienne has a post somewhere (I saw it earlier today) - she let her subscription lapse and has just received a 20 percent discount offer.
                  Elaine

Comment

Joan - thanks for the suggestion.

I have racked my brains for a simple, logical way to save Scottish info. The screenshots would give me the "view record" page, and a page with an alphabetical list of others on the same page with their places of birth. Unfortunately, it won't give me occupations or household groupings which are very often the bits which provide later clues e.g in-laws etc. The standard of Scottish transcription is so low that I need all the additional tools I can get e.g the records of Hatibel and Batchel made no sense until I found the baptism of Rachel.

Elaine - I might have to avoid the temptation to be greedy re the Maestro (I plan to use OH's visa debit card to get round the problem anyway) and go for the offer instead.
                    Gillian

Comment

I'm sure you can access your shoe box but not the images linked to the saved file. After I did my trial I didn't take a membership for a while but once I did all shoe box images were there.

I have a Ancestry.co.uk. and lately I've added a subscription to Ancestry.ca. The cost of the Canadian one only costs £29.38 and on the Canadian site you can access ALL the uk census you can on .co.uk. I'm thinking of just using the .CA one when my UK one comes up for renewal.

Jan
                      Last edited by deletejb; 04-03-08, 11:30.

Comment

Jan - that's interesting. I hadn't realised there was a sub available for UK + Canada. I thought the only options were for either uk or world. Can you access all the uk content or just census and BMD via the .CA one?
                        Gillian

Comment

Just Gillian

Neither did I.

No You can't get the BDM just the census.

I met a woman last visit to Reg. House in Edinburgh she said she started a new account and took one out. I had planed to do the same but when I went to my account I realised I could have both on the one account, sweet or what.

Jan

Comment

Thanks Jan. I'll look into that option then.

Loads of my Scots emigrated to Canada and I nearly killed myself having a download fest OF BMDs last time Ancestry offered a 3 day free access to Ancestry.CA. - almost all the wives had a minimum of 11 children, some as many as 18! It would be great to be able to explore at a more leisurely pace!
                            Gillian

Comment

The links will stay in the shouebox but you won't be able to view the images.
                              Why don't you just download them to your computer now?
                              CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Thanks Carole. Since yesterday I've started doing that with the English/Welsh ones. It's the Scottish ones which are more of a problem as there isn't a good way of saving the total information from each page without running into quite a few saved pages/screen shots.
                                Gillian

Comment

Working...
                                X