Jessie Clark born 1863 Aberdeenshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessie Clark born 1863 Aberdeenshire

I've been trying to sort this one out for years - if you google you'll probably find all my old postings around the place!

My great-grandfather's first "wife", but as far as we have been able to find out, they weren't legally married, was Jessie Clark. These are the two English census entries I have for her:

1891 census 17 Bingfield St., Islington
    RG12; Piece: 158; Folio 41; Page 14;
    Jessie Bristow wife married 27 Scotland Aberdeen
    Amy Bristow daughter 4 Kent Lewisham
    Reginald Bristow son 3 mo London Islington
    Eric Bristow son 3 mo London Islington

("Husband" Robert was away at sea)

1901 census 31 Hornsey Rd., Islington
    RG13; Piece: 201; Folio: 63; Page: 20.
    Robert Bristow Head 38 Master Mariner Kent n.k.
    Jessie Bristow Wife 37 Cummerstone Scotland
    Amy Bristow daughter 14 Lon Lewisham
    Reginald Bristow son 10 London Islington
    Ruby Bristow daughter 6 London Islington

Jessie Bristow died 4th August 1908 at 14 Queensland Rd., Islington, age 45. On all the children's birth certificates she is Jessie Bristow, formerly Clark. I'm trying to find any trace of her before Amy's birth (3rd Jan 1887).

It's a long time since I looked at this one, but if there is anything you think I should look up on Scotland's People then say what, because it is most likely in my "previous searches" on there for me to dig out! I must have spent a fortune on this over the years and got nowhere. Perhaps someone can find something on ancestry, though? Anybody got any ideas, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Hi Kite Runner,
    I am still having a look but I think a good clue is the birth town of "CUMMERSTONE" , as quoted in the census you sent.- I think there is a strong possibility that this should be "CUMINESTOWN" in Aberdeenshire.
    If you look at the map it is close to Turriff, New deer and New Pitsligo, amongst other places.
    If you have a look at the census for 1871 for these areas you will find lots of Clarks. Another minor suggestion (but you probably have already) is that you look for CLARKE, with an E at the end.
    Do you know the names of any other children - the Scottish people were great for following naming patterns - this could give a clue to the parents of Jessie. The children in the census you sent don't sound particularly Scottish, perhaps their names come from the paternal line.
    Just my ramblings, but you never know.
    Sorry that I am a bit vague but hope this info may help. I will keep looking.
    Best wishes.
    Herky
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks, Herky. I don't think any of their children were exactly named after grandparents, but these are the full names of the ones I know about:
      Amy Elizabeth Marguerite
      Reginald Hugh
      Eric Robert
      Marion Margaret Ruby

Elizabeth was Robert's mother's name; Marion was a sister-in-law. Most of the other names look too modern to be the names of Jessie's parents, don't they?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Jessie can also be for Janet, Kate... don't know if that will help any

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
        Raven's Family Tree

Comment

KiteRunner.................have you looked for the "Hugh" connection. I have over 30 Hughs in my Scottish line. all from the Aberdeenshire/Banffshire area. They go back to the 1700s.

Comment

Yes, I've tried looking for people with the name Hugh and any of the other names but got nowhere with that. There are so many Clarks around, it's really difficult!
            KiteRunner

Comment

I've got a few around Aberdeen shire but can't find a Jessie/Jane/Jean/Janet from Cummiestone. Most of mine are Old Deer, Fyvie etc.

OH has a stack of Clarks in Fife, if you find any connection there.

Comment

Libby, I can't even find a connection with my other Clark from Aberdeen who married Jessie's "husband's" uncle! And this other Clark (Isabella) left a will which named about 100 people including all her own relatives and Robert's parents so I'm sure she would have mentioned Jessie if she was related.
                KiteRunner

Comment

I've had a look on Ancestry and there are a couple of possibilities, but I'll have to trace them through. I was looking at younger girls and Clarks with Jessie(etc) as mother.

Maybe she was younger or ran away. Changed name???

I'll check later. For sunny Qld we are having a very wet summer. Sun is shining (for a while) so sheets are going on line to dry.

Comment

Forgot to ask.................did Isabella mention a "Ann" who could possibly fit Jessie's timeframe??

Comment

Sorry, Libby, what I was getting at was that Isabella wrote her will after Robert and Jessie had their first child, and she obviously knew the family well enough to know that Robert's parents had separated as she mentioned both of them, so I would have expected her to mention Jessie in that bit of the will if Jessie was her relative, but I will check to see if there is an Ann at all.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                      X