OC, do you want another Holden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC, do you want another Holden?

just spotted this morning, when I was photographing a local RC church, there is a memorial plaque on the side listing their Priests.

First name is a Fr. John Holden died 1861 age 64.

The church is at Spinkhill, Derbyshire

I reckon this is the revelant census entry (Eckington & Renishaw)
    RG9/2534; Folio 87; Page 10

says he was born Bougrave, Lancs.
    Vicky

Thanks Vicky! Adding him to my list now.

OC

Comment

OC

I have some Holden's too.

George Holden 1839-1878, born Groton, Suffolk.

He married into my Woodgate line. I have 4 children as well if you are interested.

Comment

Owww I do like a good coincidence - I discovered over the weekend that my GGGranny's brother was in the college in Spinkhill - Hugh Feran age 15 - bottom of same page as Fr.J.Holden.
        LOL - bet you're glad I told you that!
        Last edited by Lovettpod; 03-03-08, 15:24.
        ;) Helen x

Comment

Originally posted by Lovettpod View Post
          Owww I do like a good coincidence - I discovered over the weekend that my GGGranny's brother was in the college in Spinkhill - Hugh Feran age 15 - bottom of same page as Fr.J.Holden.
          LOL - bet you're glad I told you that!

would you be interested in a pic of the college then?
          Vicky

Comment

Ow yes please if it is not too much trouble Vicky! Thank you!
            ;) Helen x

Comment

hopefully tomorrow, if the weather is OK

I've done the church today, if its not in the WIKI yet it's on the East Midlands POW thread
              Vicky

Comment

Thanks Vicky - what a lovely suprise
                ;) Helen x

Comment

the church is right next door to the college (its a prep school & secondary nowadays), and just the other side is a primary school (also dedicated to the church) that looks like it was probably built about the same time.

The school has a good reputation locally.

Was just musing whether in those days it was "just" a school, or would have been for training priests - any idea?
                  Vicky

Comment

Margaret

I have added your Holden to my database with a note to contact you if he crops up in connection with any other Holden.

Suffolk is not a natural stamping ground for a Holden, lol. They must have strayed in from somewhere else, but I don't yet have any Holdens in Suffolk.

Thanks!

OC

Comment

OC, dont know whether you have any in Wigan Lancs but if you have this link might be useful for deaths.. theres 112 Holdens.

Wigan Cemetery (Lower Ince) Records Index - wiganworld

]

Comment

OC......I suppose you have Edith Holden in your list. She was born 1871 and her diary has been published. I have a copy just in case you've missed her. She was born in Kings Norton.

Comment

NL

Ah, thankyou! I had that site in my favourites but lost it when my old computer died.

Harry's mum

You mean the Diary of a Country Lady Edith Holden? I investigated her a long time ago (probably when her book came out) but didnt get anywhere - I might have another look at her.

OC

Comment

Yes OC. That's the book. I have it if you want any info. Just yell.

Comment

OC do you have any links to Cumberland for your Holdens? I did see some when I was looking through the parish records on the new LDS site. Couldn't think at the time who had that name in their tree.
                              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
                                OC do you have any links to Cumberland for your Holdens? I did see some when I was looking through the parish records on the new LDS site. Couldn't think at the time who had that name in their tree.
                                Daphne, you're kidding right? :D:p
                                Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie Knees View Post
                                  Daphne, you're kidding right? :D:p
                                  No Rose honest I'm ok with faces but names I can never remember:o Comes from being a member on too many lists :D
                                  Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    NL

Ah, thankyou! I had that site in my favourites but lost it when my old computer died.

Harry's mum

You mean the Diary of a Country Lady Edith Holden? I investigated her a long time ago (probably when her book came out) but didnt get anywhere - I might have another look at her.

OC
                                    Sorry, I was bored!

Looks as if her father was Arthur Holden (varnish manufacturer) b abt 1836 at Bristol anf her grandfather was Adam Holden (a sugar refiner) b abt 1780 at Halifax, Yorks. Then there's a problem with three baps for children called Adam Holden over four years, at the Hallfold Evangelical Presbyterian, Spotland, Lancashire! Is that near Halifax??

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                      Sorry, I was bored!

Looks as if her father was Arthur Holden (varnish manufacturer) b abt 1836 at Bristol anf her grandfather was Adam Holden (a sugar refiner) b abt 1780 at Halifax, Yorks. Then there's a problem with three baps for children called Adam Holden over four years, at the Hallfold Evangelical Presbyterian, Spotland, Lancashire! Is that near Halifax??

So was I. LOL
                                      Edith was one of seven children according to the book. Her father was a paint manufacturer, so that would be the same one Merry.

She married Ernest Smith in 1911 and died in 1920 by drowning in the Thames.

Comment

Merry

think you got stuck the same place as me, lol.

There are numerous Adam Holdens, most of them in Lancashire. It was the name of the eldest son for centuries, so there are hundreds of them.

It does hint at a connection with the Manor of Holden. there was a schism in the Holden family in the 1500s, one lot went protestant the others remained RC. Adam was the one who went protestant!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X