Baptism in Montrose Angus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism in Montrose Angus

Today I received verification of existence of two of our COLE family. The old family Bible says that

"Guy Cole was born at Montrose Scotland on Sunday the 18th day of August at 11 o'clock forenoon 1805, moons age 24 days, and babtized (sic) there

Frances Ann Cole was born at Ferriden near Montrose Scotland 20 minutes past 6 Oclock on 5th of May 1807 and babtized there"

Several of the entries give the moons age - does anyone know the significance of this ?

Also these entries do not appear to show up on the Scotlands people website - any ideas why not ? I don't have credits, but just searching the indexes gets no hits.

Diane
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Somebody might know for sure, but I think it is the time since the new moon.

I've seen it before but only on Scottish and Lancashire info.

Don't quote, though, I'm really not sure.

Comment

Presumably this marriage from FamilySearch is connected with them:
      Guy Cole married Elizabeth Nutt 10 Jul 1803 Montrose, Angus
      and that is an "extracted" IGI record, so we can be sure there was at least one Cole couple in Montrose around the right time.

The IGI also has Montrose baptisms covering the years in question but no Coles in the batch, so I would guess that their baptisms were not Church of Scotland but some other denomination.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Harrys Mum,
        Well I am glad some one else has seen the days of the moon noted - I thought it might have something to do with them being in the "gardening" or nurseryman profession, but maybe they were just more aware of it.

Yes Kiterunner, the marriage is the parents of Guy and Frances. I thought they were not baptised, as the next child, born in 1810 (in Harrow MDX), was not "babtised" until he was 6. Did they have churches other than the church of Scotland ??

There is also Cornelius Cole marrying Anne Laird in 1797 and I am sure that this is Guys brother, but why they were both there, from Rutland where they were born, I have no idea.

Diane
        Diane
        Sydney Australia

Comment

I'm not sure about other churches form the Church of Scotland, but they certainly had people from other denominations. Just not sure how "open" they were.

I do know my Gordons were Roman Catholic, but not sure how long they stayed RC. Seemed to be happy enough to marry into the Grant family who certainly were not RC.??

Just had a quick google on the moon age, and came up with times from the new moon.
          People arrived at the door so couldn't look too closely. Inconsiderate lot visiting while I'm here. LOL.

Comment

Try this.....

General Register Office for Scotland - From our Records - Genealogical Gems

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
              Did they have churches other than the church of Scotland ??
              Yes, many many different ones, both long ago and today. I once came across a flow chart on the web showing how different bits broke away and then came together again. Currently there's the Church of Scotland (the established church), the Free Church of Scotland, the United Free Church of Scotland and the Episcopalean Church of Scotland. There may well be others I've missed. And there were certainly many more in years gone by.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The lunar calendar definitely has some ties to Christianity - isn't that what they use to work out when Easter is?
                Researching Harris, Mason, Murray, Dickson and Denovan in Scotland, Drury and Brady in Ireland, and Boothby, Gower, Waghorn, Blyth and Humphrey in England.

Comment

Yes, Suse B, they do

Comment

Unless I go to Montrose and Ferryden and look at what churches they might have had, I may never find the baptisms.

Is the notation in the family Bible enough proof ?

Also in the packet of papers sent to me was a copy of Guy Coal's discharge papers from the Rutland Fencibles after six years service in 1800. He was a trumpeter and must have served from when the Fencibles were formed in 1794. But that still does not explain what he was doing in Scotland, I assume he was working as a gardener, and I think I might explore those who signed his Army papers - someone there might have held property in Montrose ????

It was lovely to receive copies of the family papers, but now I just have MORE questions.

Diane
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia

Comment

Diane....have you tried

SCOTLANDS FAMILY TREE(The friendly forum!) :: Home

They are very helpful. I think you have to register and they do have a paying section, but they also have a free part.

Comment

Hi Libby

No but I shall. What's another forum subscribed to - one day I am going to forget a password (shh don't tell, I usually use the same one if I can)

di
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                        X