The elusive 'Nana Jakes'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The elusive 'Nana Jakes'

Some of you may remember my thread last year about trying to find this lady who I always knew by the above name. With a lot of help from some kind souls, I managed to track her down - she actually married my grandfather although none of us three grandchildren knew any details and there was nobody left to ask. I was the only one with any memory of meeting her when I was quite young - my cousins had never heard of her. Weren't families funny?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we went to see my youngest cousin over the weekend, who had been rootling through a box of photos and there was our grandfather with yes - 'Nana Jakes' . A bit younger than I remembered her obviously, but instantly recognisable.

What a lovely find. I actually felt quite tearful to see a photo of someone who had been shrouded in mystery for so long.

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

We went to a family reunion for my mother-in-laws family yesterday. In between showing each other what we know and all the photos, my mother-in-law and her sister have photos back to their great-grandparents (1850s), the houses they lived in (now demolished) and a book full of birthdates (I only have the years from bmd indexes!!) and all they said was, "Oh, don't you have any of these?".
    (We pointed out that now these photos can be easily scanned and distributed to all the family, so we can all have copies- I am going to scan the whole book, if I can get it for long enough)

But today, I received some photocopies of papers of the "Old Cole Family Bible" which includes birth dates for all the children born to Guy Cole in 1800-27 - including the two born and baptised in Scotland, who I knew existed but could never prove with a baptism. I am so excited, I cannot wait to email those of us who have been dying for this information !!!

Diane
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
    X