Census help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census help

I am researching a Wassell Family line And i am little Stuck Ive found William Wassell married to a harriet But i am having trouble finding william's parent i belive to think there called Ann N Joseph I have found them in the 1881 census 1971 census but having trouble finmding them in 1861,51,41

the Belived dates of births
    Ann 1821ish
    Joseph 1832ish
    William 1850ish

Areas may be
    Stourport
    Kidderminster
    Wordsley

any help would be greatly appreciated

Too tired to look now, will have a go tomorrow if someone else doesn't get there first.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thank you

Comment

There's a William on the IGI ... born in Kidderminster, Worcester .... with mother Ann Wassell

This should be the link ...

FamilySearch.org - Search

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

1851 census ... may be them ?

- Ancestry.co.uk

William Wassel ... 5 months born in Kidderminster

Mother Ann Wassel (widow) ... Greengrocer (employing one man)

children :-
          Phillip
          Mary
          Joseph
          Adam
          Catherine
          Elizabeth
          Thomas
          William

hope this makes sense ... off to bed now....
          Last edited by Rachel Scand; 03-03-08, 12:15. Reason: missed out Adam !
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I think this is the same family in 1841 ... it's not easy to read ! and the surname is transcribed as Wash

Head of household Adam ... so may not be yours after all

- Ancestry.co.uk

Comment

thank you rachel i haven't got her with any other children so i will look that up thank you very much in 1851 she has been widowed but i have got her in 1881 to have married a joseph does that mean that cud be another marriage and not be williams father ?

Comment

Hi there
                I missed out Adam from the 1851 census :( .... have now added him

She could well have remarried at any time but
                I didn't look at 1871 or 1881 ... wasn't really awake

Will have a look now

Comment

If Ann and Joseph Wassell (1881) are the correct ones then the family I found is an unlikely match unless Ann remarried another Wassell.

Do you have William's marriage cert. ?
                  That should give you the father's name and occupation

Comment

Originally posted by kiddygal88 View Post
                    I am researching a Wassell Family line And i am little Stuck Ive found William Wassell married to a harriet But i am having trouble finding william's parent i belive to think there called Ann N Joseph I have found them in the 1881 census 1971 census but having trouble finmding them in 1861,51,41
                    What is the place and year of birth for William.
                    Which census have you found them in? Can you give the reference.
                    Presuming the William married to Harriet is the one you are after, do you have their marriage certificate?
                    Elaine

Comment

Just to confuse the issue a bit!

There's these in 1881 who I presume are the people you need to trace back:

William WASSELL M 30 Canal Boatman b Stourport, Worcester
                      Harriot WASSELL M 27 Boatmans Wife b Stourport, Worcester
                      Sarah Ann WASSELL 8 Scholar b Stourport, Worcester, England
                      Joseph WASSELL 3 Scholar b Stourport, Worcester
                      Harriot E. WASSELL 2 Stourport, Worcester

at Kinver, Stafford.

Now, as well as William aged 5 months b Kidderbinster with mother Ann etc in 1851 which Rachel posted earlier, there's also a William aged 1, born Stourport on the 1851 as well.

HO107; Piece: 2038; Folio: 126; Page: 9;

He's a visitor in the house of some people called Rawlings. There's another Wassell there too.....Esther aged 12 b Stourport.

Comment

This may be the birth regfor the William from Stourport, but I can't see a second birth reg for the one aged 5 months at the 1851 census date.

Births Jun 1850

Wassell William Daniel Kidderminster 18 433

Comment

In 1881 there's also this William who might possibly be more likely to be the child of Ann the greengrocer:

William WASSALL Head M 30 Fishmonger b Kidderminster, Worcester
                          Esther WASSALL Wife M 27 b Chesterfield, Derby
                          Ann ARCHER Mother In Law W 57 b Chesterfield, Derby

at 31 Birmingham St, Dudley, Worcestershire

Comment

The following is probably the marriage for William Daniel, who was reg for birth in Q2 1850 and is probably the child without parents in 1851:

Marriages Dec 1871
                            Price Harriet Kidderminster 6c 446
                            Wassell William Daniel Kidderminster 6c 446

Now I've been looking at Joseph and Ann (Doubt it's the same Ann as was a widowed greengrocer in 1851)

In 1871 William is Joseph's son and in 1861 William Joseph's brother!!!

I wonder which one is wrong???!! lol

1871: RG10; Piece: 2996; Folio: 27; Page: 47
                            1861: RG9; Piece: 2081; Folio: 50; Page: 18

Anyway, if the one you want is the one who married Harriet Price, then you will probably need both his marriage and birth certs to sort this out!! lol

Have fun

Comment

The IGI link I posted before doesn't actually take you there ! ! !

It's for the Christening of a William Wassall ... 1st Dec 1850 Kidderminster... mother Ann Wassall

It's extracted

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                                The IGI link I posted before doesn't actually take you there ! ! !

It's for the Christening of a William Wassall ... 1st Dec 1850 Kidderminster... mother Ann Wassall

It's extracted

lol Rachel!!

I presume that would be the greengrocer's son? (as he doesn't have a middle name....)

I think we need kiddygal88 to come back and let us know her connection to William b 1850, in order to establish which one is the right one!

But I'm off to take children to cubs.......

Comment

:D Hi Merry ... yes ... I thought that William fitted very nicely !

it all seemed quite logical in the early hours

Comment

sorry haven't been back in contact popped out i haven't got any of the certificates only really just started william was born in around 1852 and i have him in the 1881 and 1871 census i have found his marriage on the BMD

Comment

thank you Merry and Rachel thats the ones i have found it confused me with the brother and the father bit too thats where i have got stuck i'm very great full for all the help its just a bit difficult to work out

Comment

Working...
                                      X