Well blow me down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well blow me down!

Here's a tale of unexpected breakthroughs....

I bought a booklet for a few pence on ebay long long ago early last year, a proceedings of the Huguenot Society dating from 2001. I doubted it would be of much use at all when I bought it, but it was so cheap I went ahead and bought it. I had a quick skim through it at the time, then deciding I was right it was indeed of absolutely no use to me, put it on a pile other regretted impulse buys and promptly forgot it.

Well today, while waiting for a web page to load..very slowly! (all been there I'm sure), I absent mindedly picked it up, only really half interested if I'm honest, just something to do with the hands, and started to flick through it really quite listlessly, and then all of a sudden..blow me down there was my ancestor, well at least what I'm 99% sure is my ancestor!...Name staring out at me bold as brass from the neglected pages, crying for attention!

It was from list of pupils of the French Protestant School in Westminster, or more accurately apprenticeships they had paid for for pupils of theirs who had left to start a trade.

The entry read: June 1764 Francois Bellenger apprenticed to Daniel Le Bailley, Silk Weaver.

My ancestor, 6x g grandad, Julien Francois Jacques Bellenger, was a silk weaver and was always known as 'Francois', his daughter refers to him thus in her hospital records, and in the original church records the vicar even went as far as adding the Julian and Jacques to his entries at a latter date (Which evidently caused no end of confusion and trouble to the IGI transcribers, but wont even go there!). He would have been just turned 14 then, 1764, so right age too. There is no other Francois/Francis baptised in the French or English London churches at this time either.

This is a great breakthrough for me as I'd always assumed he'd come to England after 1770, as he'd obtained a baptism copy from the parish register in France at that date, and the earliest record I have of him up till now in England was from 1774. I always wondered why he left as an adult, as by 1770's persecution had all but ended. If he left earlier as a child, this makes far more sence, as in the 1750's and 60's the Normandy authorites were vociferously enforcing the law of 'enlevement' the forced kidnapping and brainwashing of Protetsant children into the convents and Catholic institutions. I now think his family got him out to England, and he got his slip while returning to visit them, as of course by then aged 20 he was no longer in danger. I suppose with a new life built up, a trade in hand, and who knows perhaps 6xg grandmother already in the wings (they married not long after 1774) he decided to stick with his adopted homeland and returned again to England?
    Last edited by Richard; 02-03-08, 21:55.

Another mystery was also cleared up, a further entry from 1790 gives another

Francois Bellenger, of New James Street, Bethnal Green, apprenticed to John Pugh a Candle Maker.

I had seen many references to a Francis Bellenger of Bethnal Green (who sadly hung himself 'while lunatic' in the 1840's), and wondered why I couldn't link him to mine as the names fairly uncommon there.

Among the 11 children of Julian Francois Jacques there is only a daughter Francoise. But I know for a fact my family was at that adress in 1793, New James Street, so now with that record under the belt 99% certain the IGI and Huguenot society have transcribed it wrong and the baptism should read Francois rather than Francoise, and was actually a son...something I'd long long suspected.

And if all that wasnt enough...even more...

My 3 x g-grandfather on this line William John Clark Bellenger, married a Caroline Martin. Her grandfather born circa 1796, was a Thomas Martin, Ivory Turner. I've always wondered whether they were also Huguenot descended, have been in contact with Bethnal Green Martins from villages just a mile apart in France from my Bellengers, but what with the name unusually being so common amongst the French and English have found it somewhere between hard to impossible to prove any link..

Then found this on the same list:

Jan 1792 Jacob Martin, apprenticed to Jean Darby, Ivory and Hardwood Turner, Bishopsgate.

Dad to Thomas then?....certainly an exciting avenue to chase up, on a solid concrete brick wall that I had thought was inpenetrable and long given up on!

Anyway just goes to show how easy it is to miss things. What a hobby eh..You can spend days, weeks even, searching in sources far and wide, 'till your eyes are sore, your bones ache, and your minds numb, and find nothing...then all of a sudden by sheer chance breakthrough after breakthrough, and it was all right there in front of me the whole time ...actually I nearly chucked the thing away when cleaning over Xmas, oops..or should I say 'phew'!!! A good weekends work!!
    Last edited by Richard; 02-03-08, 21:59.

Comment

I'll use that as my excuse next time my mum moans at me for never chucking anything out Fantastic find!
      Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Wow, well done!!

*looks at eBay a bit harder*

Comment

Michael, can well relate. I regularly get moaned at for 'hoarding', just goes to show though doesn't it, stick to your guns, theres method in the madness.. and mess!

Comment

Well done Richard - isn't it great.

I really do wonder sometimes if our ancestors are guiding us, whispering quietly, "Here I am! Here I am!".

Not such a major breakthrough, but when I cleared my dad's house he had kept some books belonging to his grandparents. Dull worthy tomes they were, of spiritual enlightenment by obscure authors and I almost chucked them out.

There were far too many to keep, so I went through and weeded out those with no inscriptions and chucked - the ones with inscriptions I kept, in a box under the stairs and never looked at them again.

Wrestling with a family that I so desperately wanted to be mine, but didn't appear to have any connection at all, I stared at the marriage cert for the umpteenth time and suddenly - DING DONG! - the name of the witness, Clara Lees.

I rummaged in the box - there was a book inscribed "To Eleanor Green, with the love of her friend Clara Lees". (Eleanor Green became Eleanor Holden)

Same signature (a funny, drooping last "s"). So Clara Lees knew both Holden families - and if that is MERE COINCIDENCE, then I will eat my computer spread with mustard.

But the worrying thing is - things like this make you wonder what you have thrown away that might have given you another breakthrough!

OC

Comment

"I really do wonder sometimes if our ancestors are guiding us, whispering quietly, "Here I am! Here I am!"

I'm usually the worlds biggest sceptic...but I must admit that's exactly the thought that crossed my mind. I also had the very weird experience on this same line of wondering about a contact on Genes reunited who I'd mailed about 6 months before. I'd been really curious to see their tree, he was from a branch that had moved up north that I'd always wondered about as 3xg grandad is up there on one of the census too, but we'd exchange at best two short polite mails, hadn't really had a big conversation, and I'd heard no more from him.

I'd totally forgotten all about it and moved on to other branches, then one morning, totally out the blue I thought I wonder if I should mail that fellow again then within ten minutes I got the genes message saying his tree was now open to me! Very strange indeed..
              Last edited by Richard; 02-03-08, 23:08.

Comment

I do know that on the few occasions when I have decided "That's enough. I'm not looking for this man anymore" and REALLY meant it...within a few days, something appears out of the blue, completely unbidden.

But you have to really, really mean you've had enough and aren't going to look anymore. You can't cheat - they know.

I was just logging off one night when I got a message on GR:

"Did your GGF have a son called James? I am descended from him"

(Me) "Yes, he did, but I'm afraid that his son James died aged 40, unmarried, so it must be a different family"

"Oh, right. Would you just confirm that your James' mother was not called Ellen Grimshaw?"

I fell over - yes, she was.

Son James had indeed died aged 40, having been married less than a year.(Unknown fact to me) He left a bride pregnant with twins. My family had FORGOTTEN this small fact(!).

We are now working together to unravel the mystery of James' father - also called James, and although we have made very small progress, it is almost as if he threw us a bone to keep us interested in him! I had given up just before I got this message.

OC

Comment

I really do wonder sometimes if our ancestors are guiding us, whispering quietly, "Here I am! Here I am!".
                  I'd better start listening harder then, because there are quite a few from whom I'd very much appreciate whispers!

My grandma was talking recently about throwing away a load of old photos - most of those she was referring to were of places, which I wasn't too bothered about since I've got plenty of my own holiday pics, but I said I'd be diving in to stop her if she started throwing away any photos of people!
                  Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Very recently I asked my uncle if he had any photos of a particlar branch of the family. The very day they arrived in the post, I had a message via GR from someone connected to this same branch. I've never found anyone working on this part of the family before. We've been very busy swapping info and photos ever since.

Jane

Comment

Only yesterday I was going through the vast amount of paper I have on one branch of my family and found several answers to questions I'd been trying to find out on the internet, including notes I'd made in records offices, doh!
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Well done! I know the feeling too of keeping all that suspicious looking information which niggles you and you can't quite fit into the tree and then one day the proof miraculously turns up. Here I'm referring to my tinseller which is now sorted - OC may remember anyway - or perhaps not
                        CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Michael

Just this week arrived just in time to stop my mother-in-law binning all what she considered to be useless certificates, army records etc etc. They are all now safely lodged for the time being at our house.

I also remember one old lady who lived in the flat below where I used to live. When she died we found her family photos and certificates outside in a pile on the pavement. We later ddiscovered it was a nephew who had put it there. What a waste!
                          CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Richard....just read this. Great news for you.

I often add a family name or place to an EBay search and see what I come up with. I've found mostly postcards and such, nothing as good as yours.

Comment

Working...
                            X