Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause of death

Can anyone read this cause of death?

Researching Harris, Mason, Murray, Dickson and Denovan in Scotland, Drury and Brady in Ireland, and Boothby, Gower, Waghorn, Blyth and Humphrey in England.

Yes!

Phthisis (pronounced tysis) pulmonary

means TB of the lungs
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Ooh, nasty. Thanks for that!
      Researching Harris, Mason, Murray, Dickson and Denovan in Scotland, Drury and Brady in Ireland, and Boothby, Gower, Waghorn, Blyth and Humphrey in England.

Comment

"Phthisis pulmonale 18 months, cerified by Robert Selby, the surgeon who *** deceased"

S/he has had TB of the lungs for 18 months. It looks like the death was certified by the surgeon, Robert Selby, but i can't read one of the words - has the scan missed the begining of the word I've ***ed?

Bee.
        Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
        COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Pulmonary TB was a very common killer in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Comment

Phthisis Pulmonalis ?

Consumption of the lungs possibly ?

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
              "Phthisis pulmonale 18 months, cerified by Robert Selby, the surgeon who *** deceased"

S/he has had TB of the lungs for 18 months. It looks like the death was certified by the surgeon, Robert Selby, but i can't read one of the words - has the scan missed the begining of the word I've ***ed?

Bee.
              I think the missing bit is "last saw"

Comment

Here's a better scan of that last bit:

Comment

Ah, yes. Merry's got younger eyes than me! lol

Definately a dreadful disease in those days. Used to be called 'consumption' - because it consumed the body, presumably. Thank heavens - yet again - for the NHS and modern science, despite our moans and concerns about them.

Bee.
                  Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                  COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Another one if you don't mind - I can read the first two, but what is the third cause of death? Poor wee boy was only 10 months old :(

Comment

And yes, thank goodness we all get vaccinated now!

Comment

2nd word is Diathesis

definition of diathesis here Definition: diathesis from Online Medical Dictionary
                        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

That's intriguing - as if he had some kind of allergy?

Comment

Second word looks like "Diathesis", which is a hereditary predisposition to a particular disease or abnormality. First word -"Struss......
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Can't believe the poor mite had diarrhoea for 10 months!

Comment

I know, he must have had it his whole life!

Comment

Strumous diathesis, I think. It appears to relate to swollen glands (thyroid?)

Comment

Working...
                                  X