Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way of checking for a divorce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way of checking for a divorce?

I know we can check out marriages quite easily but what about divorces? My friend has a feeling her family member re-married as she can't find a death reg. in her orginal married name. She knew the person left her husband and family for another man however that's as far as it goes.

I guess the only other possible way to find out if there was a second wedding would be to trawl through all the marriage entries in the hope that something turns up but this could be costly and end up a red herring if the woman never actually 'tied the knot' with this second man.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Aileen

Aileen

This is the FTF Wiki page on divorce and annulments:

It gives details for where to look up divorces.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi, Aileen

I found my grandmother's divorce on the National Archives website (under ref J77)

( When I visited Kew and read the papers, I discovered that eventually the divorce did not actually happen, despite what my mother had told me!)
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I think the Nat Archives divorce papers are too early for Aileen's friend.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You will see an address on the wiki to write to - they will check a 10 year span for a fee (can't remember how much it was when I used them £10 or £20 about 8 years ago).

If you phone they will tell you how much it is now and whether its worth it.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thank you for all the info shared which I've passed on to my friend.

At least there could now be light at the end of the tunnel and not necessarily the brickwall she expected!

Much appreciated

Comment

Working...
            X