What happened to William cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to William cutting?

Please can anyone help me find out anything about William, the youngest child of my 3xgrt grandparents Thomas and Maria Cutting (Thomas also sometimes used the surname Brett). William was baptised on May 26 1844 in Erpingham village Norfolk two months after his fathers death and only a year before his mother died.

On the 1851 census the eldest sister is in service,another sister in the workhouse and the youngest sister is living with an aunt, his brother died in the workhouse 1846. No sign of William? at first I thought William may have died in infancy but found this on the 1861 census -

Class: RG9; Piece: 1215; Folio: 139; Page: 3 a prisoner in Norfolk county gaol

I can not find a death or any information on William after this?

thanks
    Last edited by Norfolk Marsh Gal; 02-03-08, 16:06.

Perhaps he changed his name when he left prison? The prison register - which is probably at Norfolk RO - would probably give details of his crime, and maybe other clues.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There's a William Breet [in the index] born 1844 Erpingham as a lodger in Erpingham in 1851: Class: HO107; Piece: 1810; Folio: 335; Page: 15;

Comment

Possible death?

William Benjamin Brett Age at Death: 51 [ Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845]
        1896 Jul-Aug-Sep Erpingham
        Volume: 4b Page: 48

Comment

1871 has a prisoner .. WFC born abt 1845 Barney, Norfolk

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thank you, Nell and Rachel I will look into those.

Comment

I've discounted William Benjamin Brett as i've just found his birth, and my William was registered William Cutting Aylsham 1844 - Erpingham village is in Aylsham district(confusing!)
              William Breet seems promising as I can't find him anywhere else. Being orphaned so young I'm not sure how he would know about the two names but i presume he must have spent some time living with his grandmother or aunt

Comment

Well in 1851 he was too young to know about the names - whoever gave the information to the enumerator knew, or perhaps the enumerator was aware?

Comment

i think you could be right Nell Erpingham was a small village, I know nothing about the people William was lodging with but they must have known the family well.

William's father Thomas was the illegitamate son of Elizabeth Brett, she marries Thomas Cutting a couple of years later. Thomas marries in the name of Brett, then it gets confusing - some children are baptised Brett some Cutting, one is even baptised Cutting and registered Brett. The family crop up as Cutting on the 41 census, deaths are registered as Cutting and all the other children stick to Cutting throughout there lives. The grandmother Elizabeth lived in Erpingham all her life outliving her children and many of her grandchildren.

Comment

Working...
                  X