Church records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church records

What is correct term for the copies of church records,which went to the Bishop, were they called Bishop's registers ?
    Whatever the correct term, does anyone know where the records for St. Andrews Church at Dent, Yorkshire went to ? was it Wakefield ?
    If they are there how can I get to see them ? would I need to book an appointment and would there be a charge ? and finally would they be indexed or would I need to be there for several days trawling through masses of paperwork.
    Ken.
    Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Think they're called Bishop's Transcrips.

Sorry don't know where they might be or what they contain.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

This looks as if it might give you the relevant info:

West Yorkshire Archive Service Homepage

You'll need to click on the Family History link in the left-hand menu.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Zilkens

Is there a particular reasdon you want the Bishop's Transcripts, rather than the original records?

In my experience the BTs have less information and are subject to errors.

OC

Comment

If they are available, you should try to look at the originals rather than the Bishops Transcripts (which are copies made at the time) as sometimes the BTs contain mistakes, omissions etc.

The local family history sociey covering that area can tell you if they have been indexed, but the answer unfortunately is - probably not!

Depending on how long ago you are wanting to look, you might find the LDS has a copy of the relevant microfilm, which you can order to view at your local LDS centre, rather than having to go wherever.

Apologies if I'm looking at the wrong one, but the only St Andrews, Dent, I can find info on is near Sedburgh, in which case Genuki says the records are in Kendal.
          Vicky

Comment

Where possible, look at both, because it is sometimes difficult to tell, when there is a discrepancy, where the error lies. In theory, a parish register was written up immediately. In practice this clearly did not happen. Otherwise you would never have entries which are out of chronological order. There are also occasions where an entry in a bishop's transcript does not appear in the registers. Bishop's Transcripts would be deposited in the Diocesan Record Office, which is usually the same as the County Record Office.

In Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts were only taken about every six years. The rest of the time it was organised by the Archdeacons. The registers were audited once a year: presumably to check that the details of the ATs tallied with the registers. Other counties could be extremely lax and in Surrey nothing survives before circa 1800.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Dear All,
              Yes Dent is near Sedbergh, in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
              The records have been looked at in Kendal, but we have been told that earlier ones which were originally kept in the St. Andrews chuch were moved to Kendal, but some known as Bishop's Transcripts were kept possibly in Wakefield.
              Obviously it looks as though we have been misinformed.
              Ken.
              Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Comment

Ken, if you really need to see these, I would think you best bet is to contact BOTH Kendal & Wakefield & ask exactly what they have & for what years. Wakefield could have copies, as Dent is now technically in Yorkshire, but in previous times it came under Cumberland.

have you checked out the LDS library catalogue - they do have films of BTs as well as actual registers, but I don't know if the years they cover are what you are looking for.

I believe most if not all the older records have been microfilmed, so even the local archives may not let you handle the originals.
                Vicky

Comment

I have some parish microfiche late 1700's which are completely illegible. Would the BT's be a second best alternative?
                  CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Taffyfrog

When you say completely illegible, do you mean because of poor filming or because the writing is so awful?

But to answer your question, yes, BTs are the next best thing to the original.

OC

Comment

OC

You name it, it's got it. About the worst I've seen. Squiggly scrawly writing which I'll have a go at but 90% of the time it's faded and could have some damage due to damp. Must admit I'm a bit annoyed at Somerset RO for not pointing this out. Next time I think I'll make a point of asking RO's what state the fiche are in before I order

Comment

Taffy

Yes, I've been caught like that too. Also the very first film I ever ordered from the LDS was so overexposed (underexposed???) it was completely black from start to finish.

They did however order me a different copy, which was fine, and thanked me for bringing the problem to their attention - apparently no one else had ever mentioned it!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC

I'll get onto them and see if they can do anything about it. I just assumed that the originals were in such a desperate state anyway that they were beyond repair. Maybe not so then.

Comment

Working...
                          X