Marriage in Nottinghamshire help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage in Nottinghamshire help please

I have George Cook and Mary. I have both their death certs but I don't know Mary's maiden name.

George was born in Girton, Notts in 1791 and died in Spalford, Notts on 9 Jan 1861.
    Mary unfortunately died before the 1851 census. She died 23 Jan 1848 also in Spalford. So born about 1784 in Nottinghamshire somewhere.

They had a daughter Sarah born in 1813 in Ossington, Notts and baptised 11 Sep 1813.

There is no more on the IGI.

Any ideas please?

Mary unfortunately died before the 1851 census. She died 23 Jan 1848 also in Spalford. So born about 1784 in Nottinghamshire somewhere.
    Does that mean you have her death cert? Just re-read your post, and can answer that for myself! :o
    So that the combination of death cert and 1841 can't give you anything more than c1784, Notts?

Does Sarah's entry in the actual baptism register tell you more than the IGI? (It would normally give a bit more, even if it doesn't give you a MMN). And are there any more children (who might have revealing middle names)?

Did Sarah marry? If so, are there any clues in her family's names?

I haven't googled, but theree must be some sort of Notts FHS. Do they have any useful transcriptions or databases which might offer some clues?

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-03-08, 13:26.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have found a marriage for a George Cook and Mary Dakins on my Nottingham CDs. Married on 9/4/1811 in South Scarle, Nottinghamshire.

Don't know if that is any help.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

That looks a likely one, Wendy: right names, right sort of place, right sort of date.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Can't find any baptisms though, I'm afraid.
          Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            Does that mean you have her death cert? Just re-read your post, and can answer that for myself! :o
            So that the combination of death cert and 1841 can't give you anything more than c1784, Notts?

Does Sarah's entry in the actual baptism register tell you more than the IGI? (It would normally give a bit more, even if it doesn't give you a MMN). And are there any more children (who might have revealing middle names)?

Did Sarah marry? If so, are there any clues in her family's names?

I haven't googled, but theree must be some sort of Notts FHS. Do they have any useful transcriptions or databases which might offer some clues?

Christine

Yes, Sarah married Samuel Barks. No clues in the naming of their children.
            I don't have anymore children for George and Mary.
            Did search the Ossington register a few years ago. We only found Sarah. They probably moved away after that.

As for Mary. Her age at death is on the cert. She is on the 1841 census but only born in the county i.e. Notts.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
              I have found a marriage for a George Cook and Mary Dakins on my Nottingham CDs. Married on 9/4/1811 in South Scarle, Nottinghamshire.

Don't know if that is any help.
              Wendy

I have seen that one too. I'm not sure though. Is it too much of a guess do you think?

Comment

I'd be inclined to go along with Wendy's find and see if it turns anything up.

I had a similar situation, and made a guess - and that's how I found a whole chunk of my mother's family - and confirmed the links not only through shared unusual names but finding three online Wills. If I hadn't tried it out, I shouldn't have found the whole branch.

You do need to make sure that you flag all entries which hang on the assumption.

Christine

Comment

Wendy

That marriage is on the IGI but submitted.

Do your CD's give anymore info? i.e. of what parish?

Comment

No, that is the only information on there I'm afraid.
                    Wendy

Comment

Mmmn I need to somehow get the parish register checked don't I?

Perhaps a shopping trip to Nottingham sometime in the future ;)

Comment

Working...
                      X