Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry

For last week or so I've been having problems looking at the census collection.

I put a name in and it tells me that there are no results for my exact criteria.

I put in his name and year and place of birth which should at least pop up for the 1871 and 1881 census's in Scotland as I have them but I'm looking for after that possibly in England.

It seems to think I've asked for 5 stars and nothing matches when in fact I don't think I have even asked for 1 star search.

Any idea how I can get them to do a proper search.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

do you have ancestry in your favourites?

if so, delete it and try the usual addy... i have mine on tabbed browsing, so is always upto date.

failing that, sling a few queries you have and i'll see what happens this end
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie

It's a John Hope Farmer born 1868 in Edinburgh. I only put John Farmer in and year of birth and it said there were no results for all the census's!!!

I've got him with his parents Thomas and Barbara in Scotland 1871 and 1881 but wanted to find him in 1891/1901 and perhaps in England - he doesn't appear to have died according to SP.

I also tried Margaret McLaren in the 1851 English census and used soundex instead of exact and got different surnames except McLaren. Found her using another rellie Margaret Hover (should be Hope) and her Mum Barbara McLaren which someone has decided should be Drummond which is wrong - Barbara married a John McLaren in 1847 and was staying with her widowed mother in the Drummond household.

Am getting so frustrated its driving me mad.

I'm not sure if its me having clicked on something previously or whether the updated site has caused a problem.

Hope you can put me out of my misery!!!!
      Last edited by JBee; 02-03-08, 01:00.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Julie could you please tell me what is tabbed browsing?

Thanks in advance.
        Kit

Comment

Hi, it sounds as if you have exact matches ticked at the top of the search page.
          Christine in Portugal

Comment

Unless I'm checking the wrong box I've got soundex.

On historial records I put soundex and on census collection soundex too

with just the christian and surname year of birth and Edinburgh - no results on census collection.

Is there anywhere else I can change the settings?

Sorry haven't used favourties to access the site.

Comment

Jbee,

I went to search tab, entered in john h Farmer, 1868 scotland. it has brought up alot of hits!. was it tolbooth Edinburgh? where he was born?
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                Julie could you please tell me what is tabbed browsing?

Thanks in advance.
                kit,

when you use ie7 you have the option to have multiple "tabs" open at a time, you can preset 7 tabs to open up when you open ie7. so instead of having to open manually various browsers they are already there for you to flip between.

like below:

Julie

Comment

only ones I can see that might fit,

1891-Class: RG12; Piece: 13; Folio 95; Page 24;.
                  1901-Class: RG13; Piece: 648; Folio: 166; Page: 22.

try unticking soundex, I never use that anyway.. sometimes less is more?
                  Julie

Comment

Hiya

Found this one Registration Number: 644/2 ED: 9; Line: 15; Year: 1901

John Farmer born abt 1869 in Edinburgh.
                    Living in Glasgow with wife Isabella and children.

He is also there in 1891 with wife but no children.
                    His wife was born in Glasgow.

Am I right in thinking that Hope is John's mothers maiden name?
                    I looked for a Barbara Hope and found one aged 14 on the 1841 census for Scotland..... living in Berwickshire.

Berwickshire shifts between Scotland and England all the time and I can never remember who it belonged to and when but it must have been Scottish in 1851. :D
                    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Thank you finally saw the other exact button to un tick on the left - (thick as two short planks me!!!).

At least the frustration has subsided for awhile - it was driving me mad as I knew it must be something I'd done!!

Thanks Julie for two possibilities - unfortunately it isn't him - I think he may have joined the Army (like his Dad) as SP doesn't have a death/marriage for him that I can find. He isn't the one with an Isabella as a wife!!!

Thanks again

Comment

JBee,

try just using the first 3 letters of his surname Far***** it will bring up variants that could sound like farmer... farquar etc...
                        Julie

Comment

Thanks Shaz

I have Barbara Hope b 1830 in Berwick in the 1841 census with her mother Margaret a widow and brother Thomas 17 born Scotland!!! Her father was John Hope but when/where he was born/married/died is still a mystery.

By 1851 census she's married to John McLaren (1847 Lamberton Toll) still in Berwick - between 1855 and 1861 her husband a soldier dies somewhere? She remarries in Dec 1861 in Edinburgh to Thomas Farmer (a soldier from same regiment).

In the 1851 census someone has put a correction on the census entry and now have her parents as Drummonds which is wrong - she's in their household with her mother Margaret Hope (mistranscribed as Hover) and eldest daughter b1849.

Haven't found Barbara in the 1861 census but her eldest daughter (3 I know of) was in Berwick workhouse around that time (and absconded when on a work placement!! - no idea of her fate). Middle one died and youngest went to Edinburgh with her.

I find the Berwick thing very difficult - Berwick = England, Berwickshire = Scotland and lots of confusion about which is which especially on the census's

Comment

Julie

No I can't see anything for John at the minute nor for that matter his cousin John Smith born in England !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well - think I'll have to leave it for awhile.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

At least I've now got ancestry working properly for me!!!:o:o

Comment

Working...
                            X