Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Same family - different addresses - 1871 census??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same family - different addresses - 1871 census??

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3345; Folio: 52; Page: 17; GSU roll: 839356.

Joseph Tufnell, age 53, Head, born Swineshead, Lincs, living Rakes Farm, Swineshead, Lincs

Ann Tufnell 43
    Elizabeth Tufnell 8
    George Tufnell 4
    Joseph Tufnell 53
    Sarah Ann Tufnell 1

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3352; Folio: 119; Page: 29; GSU roll: 839358.

Joseph Tuffell 53, head born Swineshead, Lincs, living Great Hale, Lincs
    Ann Tuffell
    Elizabeth Tuffell 8
    George Tuffell 4
    Joseph Tuffell 53
    Sarah Ann Tuffell 1

Do you agree that they are the same family?

Does anyone have an explanation?
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 01-03-08, 22:36.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Well, it LOOKS like the same family, but having met these parallel families before, I think I would want to check previous and later censuses just to satisfy my mind that there weren't two parallel families!

OC

Comment

This has happened about five or six times in my tree......sometimes it's shown as the same address both times, but one thing stands out.....the family never all have the same details both times round!

Comment

This is the never-ending Tuffnell research - we will have covered the whole country before we know it! :D

One of my contacts asked me about this via e-mail. We think this is the family of someone in the US.

I haven't researched them, but she seems pretty sure they are the same family as I don't think they have appeared twice before - i.e. not two families with same names, ages, etc.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I have my g.g. granddad in two different locations on the 1851 census

He must have had a very fast horse & cart I always say lol !

:D

Joanie

Comment

Sometimes the same family will appear twice because they moved house (or went on a visit) just around census time and were picked up by both enumerators, and sometimes it seems to be because they were listed in error by one enumerator who thought their house was in his district when it wasn't. You can tell which it is by seeing whether all the neighbours are listed twice as well, plus in that case you usually find that the error has been picked up and the entry will have a line through it.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

And sometimes the enumerator thinks he knows who lives there before he knocks on the door!

Just found a neatly crossed out family who USED to live at that address. Relations now live in the house with same named children (different surname).

Ancestry have ignored the crossing-out and transcribed the family with the wrong surname who no longer live there.

OC

Comment

Perhaps in this case he was an ag. lab. at both places!

The only one doubled up that I have on my tree is my great-grandfather who was an Engineer in the RN. He is listed as on board ship but in port, but also at home at Portsmouth! However, all the crew on the ship are then given at the top of the page as "Not on board"! Very useful, because you could see his ship and all his crew members.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

I've only found individuals duplicated

rather than families, but in both cases it proved extremely useful.

1. 1841 census
                  My gt x 2 grandmother Ann Mealing and her children are simultaneously with her husband in their village and also staying with Ann's family in another village. This was v. useful as it proved I had the right set of parents for Ann (my gt X 3 grandparents). Always a bonus when you have common names like William and Sarah!

I found my gt grandfather at home with mother, wife and sons, and also on a fishing smack off Yarmouth with his elder brother, the vessel's master. Apart from having the interesting info about vessel enumeration forms etc., it confirmed I had the right elder brother (lots of William Grays about) and as he was a fisherman it helped me to be sure the death cert I had for him (drowned at sea) was the right one.

So if the people giving info to the enumerator, or the enumerator made an error, I am very grateful to them!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It happens!
                    I have a man enumerated with his family, and also at his job as a nightwatchman 3 doors away - I guess he nipped out to work as the enumerator left his house!

I also have a woman enumerated with her husband and children, and also as a visitor at her parents home 30-odd miles away.

And there are several instances of mariners being enumerated on board ship and at home - that's a really common one. I suspect the enumerator just copies a list of the ship's crew.

Comment

Schedule for Vessels

Bev

And there are several instances of mariners being enumerated on board ship and at home - that's a really common one. I suspect the enumerator just copies a list of the ship's crew.

I don't think so
                      I found the 1871 index entry and saw the actual image, then clicked on the Vessels heading above to bring up a list of Enumeration Districts - which are actually separate vessels. I clicked to see the description and got
                      - Ancestry.co.uk
                      a form called "Census of the Population 1871 Schedule for Vessels"
                      which gives information for the master of each vessel on how to complete the form on census night and when to hand it back.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                        Bev

I don't think so
                        I found the 1871 index entry and saw the actual image, then clicked on the Vessels heading above to bring up a list of Enumeration Districts - which are actually separate vessels. I clicked to see the description and got
                        - Ancestry.co.uk
                        a form called "Census of the Population 1871 Schedule for Vessels"
                        which gives information for the master of each vessel on how to complete the form on census night and when to hand it back.
                        Ah! I've an even better explanation then - rum!

Comment

The only one doubled up that I have on my tree is my great-grandfather who was an Engineer in the RN. He is listed as on board ship but in port, but also at home at Portsmouth! However, all the crew on the ship are then given at the top of the page as "Not on board"! Very useful, because you could see his ship and all his crew members.
                          I have at least one of those. Ancestry doesn't always note that the heading says "Not On Board" on those pages, so the corresponding transcriptions are misleading.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My 4xgreat grandparents appear twice on the 1841 - once at their own address which has been confirmed by other records and also at the address of their daughter and son-in-law who are my 3xgreat grandparents. It was this one which we picked up first and which made us follow up on this couple. The surname was Moore and we had thought it impossible to trace which of the many Mary Moores born in London around 1813 was my 3xgreat grandmother.When we saw a couple called Moor (wrongly spelled too!) with ages that would make them old enough to be Mary's parents at Mary's address, it gave us something to work on. My cousin and I guess that Mum and Dad must have been visiting on census day and their entry with their daughter and her family was a mistake...but how grateful we are for it because it has given us the clue we needed to go back yet another generation.Further searching of the 1841 found them also recorded at their own home, together with several adult unmarried children who obviously didn't go visiting on 6th June 1841. A lucky mistake for us!

Ann
                            ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                            Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
                            X