Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lidyard or Sydiard?

UPDATE: Found safe and sound and spelt correctly

My n times great-grandparents were Joseph Lidyard and Grace Walker. Some kind soul here found their marriage in 1821 at Westerleigh, Gloucestershire, which is in Chipping Sodbury reg. district. Joseph was a farmer and they seemed to be firmly rooted in Westerleigh.

I have the family quite clearly in 1841, 1851 and 1861 (with interesting mistranscriptions, but the children all match). By 1871 Joseph is a widower, still head of family (mistranscribed Ledyard) but with his married youngest daughter Elizabeth Fairbrother and her family.RG10; 2576; 7; 5.

The only likely death I can find for Grace is:

Grace SYDIARD, q2 1867, Chipping Sodbury 6a 100, aged 72.

And that is exactly how she appears in the GRO index.

I will e-mail the local Reg. Office and send for the cert. if there's a decent chance I've found the right person. But first, is anyone able please to check the local death registrations or perhaps the NBI so I have some idea I'm not on a wild goose chase.

I spent ages today submitting corrected spellings to Ancestry for 3 different censuses.
    Last edited by Uncle John; 04-03-08, 20:28.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

No way to check local registrations that I know of, NBi is on FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia.

But I would think that Sydiard is a mistake - I have come across Liddiards and variants, but not Sydiard.

There is a family of Sydiards on 1861 census but image shows that it should be Lydiard.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Can't see anything on the NBI.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Can't see anything on the NBI.
        Thanks Elaine. From the link Nell gave me it seems the NBI for Westerleigh stops at 1866.

I've sent an email to Bristol Register Office asking for help.

Comment

Any more ideas while I wait for the Register Office to reply, please?

Comment

Upper-case "L" and "S" in 19th century hand-writing are often muddled up by transcribers...and don't forget that the GRO index is a transcription from the Registrar's quarterly returns made at the time. My maiden name began with "L" and I have found it transcribed as beginning with "S". To be fair, the letters do often look like each other and it can be hard to distinguish what was intended if you don't know the people concerned.I've searched my National Burial Index disk for Grace Sydiard and Grace Lydiard but there are no matches either way in 1867.

I would definitely go for this death certificate if I were you.

Ann
            ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
            Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Just as a parallel example...

In OH's tree we have Ann SANSBURY (a name which sometimes acquires an i, to match the supermarket chain), who appears on the IGI as LANSBURRY, at her (first) marriage in Portsea.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My Smoothys have been transcribed as Lenorthy.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
                  Upper-case "L" and "S" in 19th century hand-writing are often muddled up by transcribers...and don't forget that the GRO index is a transcription from the Registrar's quarterly returns made at the time. My maiden name began with "L" and I have found it transcribed as beginning with "S". To be fair, the letters do often look like each other and it can be hard to distinguish what was intended if you don't know the people concerned.I've searched my National Burial Index disk for Grace Sydiard and Grace Lydiard but there are no matches either way in 1867.

I would definitely go for this death certificate if I were you.
                  I'll report back when I get a response from Bristol Register Office. I've been doing a wildcard search of Ancestry and have found a few more sightings of family members by ploughing through hundreds of entries.

Comment

I emailed the Bristol RO asking how to go about getting a copy of a baptism and they emailed a transcription of the entry, so I got all the information I wanted, and they did not charge me anything. And really quickly too

Di
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia
                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                      I emailed the Bristol RO asking how to go about getting a copy of a baptism and they emailed a transcription of the entry, so I got all the information I wanted, and they did not charge me anything. And really quickly too
                      If it was a baptism it was probably the Records Office, not the Register Office. But I'll just wait and see what happens.

Comment

UPDATE: South Gloucestershire Reg. Office have found her safe and sound, so I'm sending for the certificate.

Has anyone asked the GRO to correct this sort of indexing error? I realise it won't find its way into the indexes on Ancestry etc. but I will see what FreeReg have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                          UPDATE: South Gloucestershire Reg. Office have found her safe and sound, so I'm sending for the certificate.

Has anyone asked the GRO to correct this sort of indexing error? I realise it won't find its way into the indexes on Ancestry etc. but I will see what FreeReg have to say.
                          If the S Glos Reg Office has confirmed that the GRO index is incorrect, perhaps FreeBMD might be induced to do something? - Or you might be able to add a comment?

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                            If the S Glos Reg Office has confirmed that the GRO index is incorrect, perhaps FreeBMD might be induced to do something? - Or you might be able to add a comment?
                            I looked at FreeBMD last night. Their remit is to transcribe what the GRO index says and there's no way to contact them. I've added a Postem to the entry.

I've also emailed the GRO. BTW if anyone else needs to email them you have to put <space>GQ<space> in the subject line to ensure it gets through.

Comment

That's about as much as you can do, I should think.

I had a feeling that I did find a way to contact them - but it involved a loit of hunting on the site!

Christine

Comment

"Has anyone asked the GRO to correct this sort of indexing error? I realise it won't find its way into the indexes on Ancestry etc."

Not personally, but a contact who I have been researching one of OH's lines with has. We found a glaring transcription error in the marriage index for 1840 which concerned her somethingxgreat grandparents. I have detailed this on a recent thread about BMD records but,to cut a long story short, FreeBMD,Ancestry and Findmypast have the relevant page as a typewritten copy - the original must have been in poor condition. The transcriber/typist misread the district name for the groom's listing and it was only by great good fortune that we managed to recognise the error and tie bride and groom's records together. She phoned GRO and explained the situation to them, they confirmed that it was an error, thanked her for bringing it to their attention and said they would amend the index. Whether that was ever done, we have no way of telling as FreeBMD, Ancestry and Findmypast are still showing the incorrect version, of course.I don't know how you would get to see a recently amended index.

Ann
                                ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                                Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Ann

Presumably the DOVE project will address this issue.

The GRO index will be searchable on line (so what's new?) but one assumes that the index will be "live" and therefore amendments will show as soon as they are done.

Otherwise there is little point in them amending their indexes at all, as most indexes issued on fiche etc and in libraries and county records offices, are ancient and only added to, not replaced, if you see what I mean.

OC

Comment

OC: that's what I thought. But at least if it gets recorded as a manuscript amendment in the master file it will hopefully pop out of the sausage machine at some time in the future.

Comment

Uncle John, as I understand it, the new index for the DOVE / MAGPIE project is being done from scratch using the certificates, not copied from the old indexes, so I don't think there is any "master file" at the moment.
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Let's hope their OCR equipment can distinguish flowery capital Ls and Ss then. The sooner the thing goes online, the sooner the genealogists and rellies can start feeding in corrections.

Comment

Working...
                                        X