ancestry look up,Devon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ancestry look up,Devon.

I'm afraid i haven't got an ancestry sub at the moment and was wondering if someone could check something for me.

I've been talking with my cousin who reckons our grandfather"alfred george" died about 1965,he was living in harbertonford at the time,she also believes he passed away in totnes cottage hospital.

I know his wife,who also died in Totnes,had the registration dist given as Newton Abbott,so i should think he'd be the same.

i also know he was born in redruth,cornwall in 1892 too.

If anybody could help?
    Thanks
    "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

I have found him on the 1901 census. Would you like a copy of the image? If so, send me your e-mail address and I'll send it on.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Live very near Harbertonford, do you think they are buried there, could have a look in the churchyard, if you want. Could do Totnes cemetry as well, but it's quite big, and I can't make sense of their grave numbering!
      Mavis
      Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

There is a marriage of Alfred T George to Florence Fuge 1914 Totnes vol 5b Page 411 Oct/dec Qtr

Comment

Originally posted by Mavis by the Moor View Post
          Live very near Harbertonford, do you think they are buried there, could have a look in the churchyard, if you want. Could do Totnes cemetry as well, but it's quite big, and I can't make sense of their grave numbering!
          That would be very nice of you!
          Alfred could well be there,but,eliza his wife was cremated and her ashes were scattered down here in illogan cemetery.

My uncle kenneth george is supposedly buried in st.johns,bridgetown,totnes.
          under a tree,i think.

Comment

just found my notes,my uncle kenneth is buried by a may tree,in the gate and turn left at St.Johns.

Comment

I take it George is the surname? Will pm you when I've looked. Should manage it sometime this month.
              Mavis
              Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Don't forget you can buy pay-as-you-go credits on findmypast to search the BMD indexes, if that's what you want looked up?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Alan

there is an Alfred T. George registered at Newton Abbot in 1965 march Q. aged 76 years. could that be him?

volume 7a. page 693. but that would give a birth year of 1889

Dates of birth were not recorded on death certs until after the later part of 1969.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    Alan

there is an Alfred T. George registered at Newton Abbot in 1965 march Q. aged 76 years. could that be him?

volume 7a. page 693. but that would give a birth year of 1889

Dates of birth were not recorded on death certs until after the later part of 1969.
                    I have seen that one,but the middle "T" made me doubt it,would the death certificate give his place of birth?

I also thought about contacting the local studies library for that area in case they have anything on microfiche for Alfred T George.

Comment

Alan,

Did his wife die before him or after? if after you could ask the local reg office to check if the informant of death was his wife?? and give her name? or if they had any children to give their names?.

I could have a look for him on the census do you know his parents names?
                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
                        There is a marriage of Alfred T George to Florence Fuge 1914 Totnes vol 5b Page 411 Oct/dec Qtr
                        I think that's the one who died in mar 1965,my grandfather was born and married in Redruth,the family moved to Modbury in Devon in 1946(i have my aunts war record which gives the address change for next of kin) but as far as i can tell,i have him on the electoral roll still down here in 1959,odd.

Comment

Alan,

Did his wife die before him or after? if after you could ask the local reg office to check if the informant of death was his wife?? and give her name? or if they had any children to give their names?.

I could have a look for him on the census do you know his parents names?
                          After.Do you know the local reg office?I'm just being lazy,i'll google it.
                          I have him in the census records,and his birth too,i found that last year,but i never chased up his death,slipped up there.

Comment

Am just having another look Alan to see if I can see him, in the death index
                            Julie

Comment

Got him!

Alfred George.
                              sept q 1966 aged 74 yrs.
                              Totnes.
                              vol:7a.
                              page:786.

I think now that you will have to go through Truro now, as I'm pretty sure that the office's were going to be centralised. have a look below in our Wiki......

Last edited by Darksecretz; 06-03-08, 19:17.
                              Julie

Comment

Got him!

Alfred George.
                                sept q 1966 aged 74 yrs.
                                Totnes.
                                vol:7a.
                                page:786.

I think now that you will have to go through Truro now, as I'm pretty sure that the office's were going to be centralised. have a look below in our Wiki......

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ornwall/Kernow
                                Thankyou!!:D
                                Would Truro be the place to ask,Totnes is in Devon.

Comment

Gawd Alan!!!! I should know better!! sorry...

that is our wiki page for Devon, know Newton Abbott and also plymouth quite well.

:o
                                  Julie

Comment

checked the wiki,it seems to be South Hams RO,Totnes,i'll give them a ring in the morning,
                                    Thank you again for the help,
                                    Alan.

Comment

No problem,

I have actually just changed it and added an email addy for it Totnes
                                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                                      X