Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone fancy looking for Elizabeth?

IGI
    Betsy Chowns Christening: 17 NOV 1822 Farnham Royal, Buckingham, Parents: Robert Chowns & Susan C145372

I think, as I can't find any other candidates, that she is the Elizabeth Chowns who witnessed Ann Chowns' marriage to John Smoothy in 1858 [Ann & John are my gt gt grandparents]. If this is her, then Ann was her youngest sister. Elizabeth may well have been her bridesmaid.

1861 RG9/76 70 p.1
    Elizabeth Chowns, servant, unmarried, 36 [birthyear 1825] cook born Bucks Farnham, in household of Thomas Lewis, 75, honorary director of Union Assurance Office. 70 Baker Street, Marylebone.

After this, nothing. I can't find her on censuses, or marriages or deaths.
    I've tried Chown/Chowne/Chowns/Chownes/Choun/Choune/Chounes and Chawns/Chauns/Chauwns, as these are variants within same family I have found as mistranscriptions.

No trace in other censuses or Freebmd.

possible death, although there is a distinct and separate Chowns family in Thame, Oxfordshire. My Chowns are originally from Aston Rowant, Oxfordshre so I am sure they join up somewhere, but all Elizabeth's siblings were born in Farnham Royal and her parents were in Stoke Poges, Bucks 1819 [settlement dispute papers] and 1841. Her mother died 1843 and her father in 1872.

Elizabeth Chowns Age at death: 76 [abt 1824] 1900 Sep Thame 3a Page: 515

Any help, suggestions, gratefully received.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

There is a marriage for Betsey Chowns at Marylebone, Jun Qtr 1863, 1a / 987

Comment

The 2 men on the page are Richard Anshaw Burkitt and David Butcher

Have not found them in 1871 but this could be them in 1881

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk

Betsy Butcher ... born abt 1825 ... Stoke Poges (this is very close to Farnham Royal)
      David Butcher ... born abt 1797

incase the link doesn't work :
      RG11/1060/63/page 19

East Grinstead ... Worth (civil Parish) Sussex
      Last edited by Rachel Scand; 01-03-08, 11:53.
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

looks like Richard Burkitt married Emma Youdan

RG10; Piece: 204; Folio: 5; Page: 2
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Here they are in 1871
          - Ancestry.co.uk

transcribed as :
          Elizabeth Butchen ... b 1825 Farnham, Bucks
          David Butchen ... b 1800 Stockinlehead, Devon

They are still living in Worth, Sussex
          Last edited by Rachel Scand; 01-03-08, 11:47.
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Wow! How do you do it, I've looked and looked!!!

Such a quick response, and your finds look very promising. Off to have a gander now, many many thanks, Lyn, Rachel and Zoe.

Comment

It's looking good, I know the Chowns sometimes put Stoke and sometimes Farnham on birthplaces for census, and the marriage Betsey under her baptismal name looks convincing too, especially as I can't find any other candidates.

Thank you again. I am gradually getting gt gt grandmother's siblings' lives pieced together.

Comment

Great, I now have them on 2 censuses. David died in 1883 and I've also found his baptism on the IGI which confirms that he was much older than Betsy. Just need to find her 1841 and 51 now.

Comment

Hi ... just popped back

There's an Elizabeth Chown in Islington, Middx. (1841) ...
                  looks like F S (female servant) ... NOT born in the County

- Ancestry.co.uk

HO 107/ 664/ book 3 / Folio 35/ page 3/ line 25
                  Last edited by Rachel Scand; 01-03-08, 15:43.

Comment

Theres also an Elizabeth in St. Pancras, born out of county, a F.S. in 1841

HO107/682/11
                    Folio 13, Page 21
                    Liverpool Street

Comment

Thank you again!

Comment

Although Elizabeth Chown in Islington is transcribed as being 18 the image says 15 (though of course ages in 1841 are unreliable. It clearly says Chown.

The one in Liverpool Street looks like Chowny [again can't rely on it] also 15 and F.S.
                        I will have to make a note of both of them and hope that one day I will be able to choose one. Shame neither of them was in Marylebone!

I've noticed in my and husband's family history a great tendency for rural females to go to London as F.S., and later censuses, if they aren't married, they tend to be maids or cooks. Laundresses seem to be occupations for married or widowed ladies.

Thanks again Rachel and Sue.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                          Although Elizabeth Chown in Islington is transcribed as being 18 the image says 15 (though of course ages in 1841 are unreliable. It clearly says Chown.

Thanks again Rachel and Sue.

Anyone else looking in to this thread, please bear in mind that for the 1841 census, the ages over 15 were rounded down to the nearest 5 years (or should be)

In other words ... someone aged 16,17, 18 or 19 would appear on the census as 15 years of age ...

hope this makes sense

Comment

Is always nice to see people reminding people about the 41 census...

I think we get that used to it we forget, and then wonder why the dates dont tally
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Rachel

Generally that's true, but I have found several instances where exact (or within a year or so) ages are given, presumably because mental arithmetic, like neat handwriting, was beyond the enumerator!

My husband's Jewish side there are two families in 1841 who appear to be 20 years older than they really were, which I found bizarre!

Still looking for Elizabeth in 1851.

Comment

Hi

I've returned to Betsey and I still can't find her in 1851!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                  Hi

I've returned to Betsey and I still can't find her in 1851!
                                  Oh, Nell...I wish I still had my Ancestry sub. Can't afford to renew it, but am itching to get into this search! Sorry I can't help.
                                  Merry Christmas!

Comment

not got anything on Betsy yet but as a side note do you have a Robert Chowns in your tree? (at least I think it was Robert, but I have been looking at PR's on microfiche and there is a Robert Chowns that is a Church Clerk or similar in Whitwick Leicestershire that witness' alot of entries) I knew that there was a member with the name but couldnt remember who it was.
                                    Julie

Comment

there is this one mistrans as Elizabeth CHOWLS age is abit out

Class: HO107; Piece: 1529; Folio: 378; Page: 5; GSU roll: 174759.
                                      Julie

Comment

there is this one in 1851 in marylebone, but says she is born in Devon (Elizabeth Choween)

Class: HO107; Piece: 1486; Folio: 587; Page: 8; GSU roll: 87811-87812.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X